HHMI is a major force in advancing biomedical research and science education in the U.S. and beyond. We have an opportunity for a Research Specialist to join the laboratory of Professor Barbara Meyer at the University of California at Berkeley, Ca. The Meyer laboratory carries out pioneering research on the mechanisms of cell-fate determination, the role of chromosome structure and chromatin modification in gene regulation, and the molecular evolution of chromosome-wide mechanisms of gene control in the nematode C. elegans, with a major emphasis on X-chromosome dosage compensation. Approaches include genetics, genomics, single-molecule imaging, and structural studies including X-ray crystallography.
We are looking for an individual who seeks full-time employment and enjoys the excitement of a world-class scientific laboratory and welcomes the challenge of an energetic environment that maintains a strong commitment to collegiality and teaching.
The Research Specialist will perform independent research involving high-resolution, single-molecule imaging as well as genetics and genomics approaches requiring application of professional judgment, interpretation of experimental results, innovation of new approaches, and preparation of research for presentation and publication.
- Perform genetic, molecular, genomic, and single-molecule experiments and analysis (including CRISPR-mediated genome editing, ChIP-qPCR, ChIP-seq, RNA-seq, Hi-C, and single-molecule imaging) for research projects.
- Identify methodological problems in research protocols and assist in implementing modifications to optimize experimental results.
- Use software applications to analyze Illumina and other high-throughput data and assist others in data analysis.
- Prepare and present written or oral progress reports, including assembly, organization, and interpretation of data.
- Train others in complex technical protocols.
- Conduct literature reviews to determine suitable research methods.
- Operate, and help maintain common lab equipment.
- PhD in Genetics, Molecular Biology, Computational Biology, or Biochemistry and preferably 2-5 years post doctoral research experience
- Experience with bio-informatics
- In-depth knowledge of molecular biology and genetics.
- Ability to make sound decisions based on knowledge and experience.
Ability to make research presentations and draft research manuscripts.
- Able to review data and information critically
- Ability to develop innovative procedures to achieve goals.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer