We are seeking a talented and a highly motivated research scientist in Medical Genetics ideally with data science skills to join a large team of the Medical and Population Genomics Lab, Sidra Medicine, Qatar. Their role is to contribute to translational genetics research in the lab, focusing on unravelling the molecular underpinning of biological traits and diseases prevalent in the Middle East, notably pediatric neuro-developmental disorders, ultimately leading to drug target discovery and patient stratification. This will involve processing and analysis of EHR and genomic datasets for patients and control subjects using state of the art computational, statistical methods as well as data modelling.
The research scientist will be ultimately responsible for liaison with clinical collaborators, generation of medical reports and the publication of research findings in line with the department’s research program. Also, they will support lab data management and operations. They will be expected to be productive, work efficiently with multi-disciplinary team and provide training to students and junior staff.
Sidra Medicine is a relatively new state-of-the art academic medical center built to the highest international standards. Its clinical focus is on providing exceptional specialty care for women and children.
Sidra’s strategy is centered on Patients and Families, Health Education and Biomedical Discovery.
The Research branch at Sidra is house to hundreds of researchers working on many aspects of pediatric and maternal health. It covers basic, translational, clinical trials and biomedical informatics research. The branch comprises research space totaling 10,000 square meters and numerous satellite laboratories and core facilities equipped with the latest research equipment, sequencing and deep phenotyping, imaging and biobanking.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Support research in the lab by helping to design experiments, processing and analyzing data to the highest standards and writing high impact publications
- Design and implement medical genetics analytical pipelines as needed to achieve research outcomes, for various data types including genomic, imaging data and HER
- Participate in writing research grants and help catalyze novel ideas and directions to the research
- Perform patient data management and write SOPs for junior staff
- Collaborate with scientists and clinicians and represent the lab in research consortia/partnerships
- Present lab research in meetings and conferences
- Travel occasionally to other institutions for the purpose of working on collaborative projects
- Adheres to Sidra’s standards and policies
- MSc or PhD in relevant field, preferably medical genetics, bioinformatics, statistical genetics or computational biology. MD would be highly desirable
- Outstanding knowledge in generic scientific methods, and high ability for critical evaluation of literature and data as well as learning new skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as the ability to collaborate effectively with a multi-disciplinary team
- Hands-on experience with relevant to statistical genetics software for the downstream analysis of genetic and omics data including linkage analysis, GWAS, Mendalian randomization
- Good data manipulation skills especially the use of R as well as Perl, Python
- Familiarity with Linux environment and shell languages (e.g bash)
- Experience using relational databases, SQL and / or structured data formats would be a plus
- Track record of relevant publications in high impact peer-reviewed journals and presenting at international conferences
- Work experience in a clinical research laboratory setting/hospital-affiliated institution or in biotechnology industry would be a plus
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Interested persons should email their CV, statement of research interests and the names and e-mail addresses of three referees to firstname.lastname@example.org addressing Mr Radi Farhad, and including ‘SIDRA-25-2021 Research scientist – Medical genetics’ In the email subject.