Research Scientist in Metabolomics (M/F) – Temporary contract (18 months)
We are seeking an accomplished scientist to join our Biomarker Discovery group based at our Toulouse site with a strong expertise in metabolomics. Within the Biomarker Discovery Unit, you will join a multidisciplinary team of biochemical, proteomic and metabolomic expertise whose role is developing fit-for-purpose MS-based analyses of biological samples to support pre-clinical or clinical target and biomarker discovery programs for our customers and partners.
The candidate will be involved in the planning, implementation, and analysis of experimental designs to advance drug development projects. She/he is expected to perform hands-on bench work including, but not limited to, the development of analytical methods for the targeted analysis of métabolites.
She/he should be a highly motivated, creative scientist with extensive expertise in targeted metabolomics and management of research projects. Preference will be given to candidates also having expertise in untargeted metabolomics and associated workflows. The candidate will work closely with the senior scientist in charge of the metabolomics platform to expand current capabilities of sample processing and LC/MS operation. She/he will also collaborate with other teams within interdisciplinary research projects. . Preference will be given to candidates who have a proven track record to successfully lead teams, manage research projects, and deliver on project goals. The candidate should be an enthusiastic researcher with an interest in learning drug discovery and development and working within a collaborative team environment.
Your key responsibilities include :
- Supervise technicians and engineers.
- Develop, optimize and standardize sample preparation and extraction methods specific for targeted classes of molecules of interest.
- Develop and implement LC-MS methods for various biological matrices to support clients’ projects in targeted metabolomics.
- Interpret and exploit experimental results in their biological context.
- Operate, maintain and troubleshoot mass spectrometry instrumentation.
- Implement new technologies and new protocols.
- Ensure compliance with the specifications established with customers.
- Communicate effectively with clients and internally through written and oral communication and presentations.
- Demonstrate excellent organization/multitasking, communication and analytical skills with ability to effectively present scientific findings to project teams and customers.
- Demonstrate strong problem-solving and project management capabilities.
- Closely collaborate with other teams within the Biomarker Discovery group as well as with interdisciplinary project teams.
- The successful candidate must have strong interpersonal skills and be highly motivated to work independently in a collaborative team-oriented setting.
Your ideal qualification :
- Ph.D. and/or equivalent experience in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry or a closely related discipline and broad knowledge and experience in metabolomics.
- A minimum of 2 years of post-doctoral experience using LC/MS techniques.
- 5+ years of research experience in metabolomics in the private sector or academia.
- Solid hands-on expertise in metabolomics.
- Demonstrated success and creativity as evidenced by a strong record of scientific accomplishments.
- Excellent project management and leadership skills.
- Ability to perform within a matrixed organization and in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to supervise and train laboratory staff
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities :
- Strong expertise in sample preparation (biofluids, tissues, cells) for metabolomics.
- Strong expertise with LC-MS instruments (operation, maintenance and troubleshooting).
- Experience in lipidomics.
- Experience in untargeted metabolomics, associated workflows and instruments.
- Scientific rigor and excellent analytical capabilities.
- Capability to work with interdisciplinary teams.
- Strong communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with clients.
- Dynamic personality with passion for innovation and problem-solving and a willingness to apply core areas of knowledge to new areas of interest to Evotec and its clients.
- Fluent English, a commitment to master French language in a timely manner is expected.