Research Scientist, Fibrosis
We are seeking an exceptional scientist to join the Fibrosis Biology group at Gilead to focus on fibrotic mechanisms that contribute to liver, lung and kidney fibrosis. This position offers a unique opportunity to drive research efforts to discover and develop novel therapies for the treatment of NASH and other chronic fibrotic diseases. This individual will support and lead discovery, drug development and translational research efforts aimed at identifying and characterizing novel therapeutic targets and advancing discovery research projects through to clinical development.
Gilead Sciences is a world leader in antiviral research having developed small molecule compounds that have revolutionized the treatment of HIV, HCV, and HBV. Over the last 5 years, Gilead has significantly broadened its scope to encompass unmet medical needs in chronic fibrotic diseases including non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and diabetic kidney disease (DKD). Gilead has developed a pipeline of investigational compounds which are currently in clinical trials for NASH. Our research team is intensively engaged in the discovery and development of additional small molecule and antibody therapeutics and combination therapies for patients with early and advanced liver fibrosis. This position provides an exciting opportunity to have high-impact participation in the growth of these new therapeutic areas within an established research group focused on developing drugs for fibrotic diseases.
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will work in a project team-based research structure to lead or support biological investigations of new and established projects within Research. The candidate will be expected to identify key research questions and design hypothesis-based experiments that support established discovery programs, as well as identify and/or evaluate new targets in fibrotic diseases. The candidate will be expected to lead biology efforts and work within a project team composed of a broad range of functional groups (e.g. Biology, Medicinal Chemistry, Drug Metabolism, High-Throughput Biology) to develop new drugs. The candidate will also oversee and/or directly manage external collaborations. The successful candidate will participate as an engaged member of the highly interactive Biology department.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
• PhD or equivalent degree and at least 3+ years of relevant post-doctoral experience.
• The candidate will have a strong track record of scientific accomplishments, demonstrated by peer-reviewed scientific publications in high-impact journals.
• The candidate should be fluent in the use of molecular techniques to evaluate signaling networks (e.g. western blotting, ELISA, proteomics, gene expression analysis, siRNA/shRNA) and have experience developing and executing in vitro and/or in vivo models.
• Experience in applying data from transcriptomics and genomic databases to enable target discovery and validation is a plus.
• Preference will be given to candidates with an in-depth understanding of molecular pathways that contribute to fibrosis (e.g. extracellular matrix biology, tissue remodeling, wound healing) and who have direct experience in activated fibroblast, endothelial cell, immune cell, adipocyte and/or hepatocyte signaling.
• The ideal candidate will be pro-active, experienced in working in team environment, and have a history of independently designing experiments that answer specific scientific hypotheses or questions.
• Strong communication skills are required, with an ability to communicate and scientifically engage individuals across a large breadth of levels and translate ideas and data into concise written and verbal communications.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/1629800