We are seeking an accomplished scientist to join our Biomarker Discovery group based at our Toulouse site with a strong expertise in cell biology and biochemistry. Within the Biomarker Discovery Unit, you will join a multidisciplinary team of biochemical, proteomic and metabolomics expertise. The candidate will lead a talented team of technicians and engineers in developing fit-for-purpose MS-based proteomic analyses of biological samples to support pre-clinical or clinical target and biomarker discovery programs for our partners. As a project leader, the candidate will be involved in the planning, implementation, and analysis of experimental designs to advance drug development projects. She/he is expected to perform hands-on bench work including, but not limited to, target/biomarker identification/validation and bioassay development.
She/he should be a highly motivated, creative scientist with extensive expertise and strong track record of success in cell biology, protein biochemistry and proteomics. The candidate will work closely with the senior scientist in charge of the proteomic platform to expand current capabilities of sample processing and LC/MS operation. She/he will also collaborate with other teams within interdisciplinary research projects. Preference will be given to candidates who have a proven track record to successfully lead teams, manage research projects, and deliver on project goals. The candidate should be an enthusiastic researcher with an interest in learning drug discovery and development and working within a collaborative team environment.
Your key responsibilities include:
- Contribute to proteomic studies to identify and quantify new targets / biomarkers from different cell and tissue models.
- Contribute to the elucidation of the mechanism of action of compounds of therapeutic interest by chemoproteomic approaches.
- Supervise technicians and engineers.
- Define and carry out the procedures in protein biochemistry applied to proteomics projects that will be entrusted to you.
- Plan, control and organize biochemical analyzes in close collaboration with the proteomics team.
Interpret and exploit experimental results in their biological context in coordination with proteomics, bioinformatics and bio-statistics teams.
- Ensure compliance with the specifications established with customers.
- Participate in the development and implementation of new methodologies and strategies applied to sample preparation for proteomics.
- Communicate effectively with clients and internally through written and oral communication and presentations.
- Demonstrate excellent organization/multitasking, communication and analytical skills with ability to effectively present scientific findings to project teams and customers.
- Demonstrate strong problem-solving and project management capabilities.
- Closely collaborate with other teams within the
- Biomarker Discovery group as well as with interdisciplinary project teams.
- The successful candidate must have strong interpersonal skills and be highly motivated to work independently in a collaborative team-oriented setting.
Your ideal qualification:
- Ph.D. in biochemistry, cell biology or related field. A background in proteomics would be an advantage.
- A minimum of 2 years of post-doctoral experience.
5+ years of research experience in cell biology and biochemistry in the private sector or academia.
- Solid hands-on expertise in cell biology and protein biochemistry.
- Demonstrated success and creativity as evidenced by a strong record of scientific accomplishments.
- Excellent project management and leadership skills.
- Ability to perform within a matrixed organization and in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to supervise and train laboratory staff
Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Stong expertise in cell culture using cell lines, primary cells, bacteria, or yeast.
- Experience with flow cytometry, cell sorting, or confocal imaging.
- Experience with cell viability and proliferation assays.
Experience in protein isolation from cells, tissue and biofluids, immuno or chemical affinity enrichment to selectively enrich proteins from complex biological samples.
Expertise with SDS-PAGE and Western blotting.
Experience in chemical proteomics sample preparation for mass spectrometry analysis.
Expertise in Cellular Thermal Shift Assay or Thermal Proteome Profiling would be an advantage.
Scientific rigor and excellent analytical capabilities.
Capability to work with interdisciplinary teams.
Excellent project management and leadership skills.
Strong communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with clients.
Dynamic personality with passion for innovation and problem-solving and a willingness to apply core areas of knowledge to new areas of interest to Evotec and its clients.
Fluent English, a commitment to master French language in a timely manner is expected