A post-doctoral position is available immediately in the Department of Neurology at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine. This one-year renewable position will be focused on preclinical studies of therapeutic efficacy and the molecular mechanism of small molecule mitochondria-targeted therapeutics in mouse models of Huntington’s Diseases. The laboratory integrates several disciplines, including mitochondria biology, biochemistry, systems biology approaches (metabolomic, transcriptomic, proteomic), and has a strong translational focus, with activities in preclinical studies and development of novel therapeutics and biomarkers of efficacy. We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a solid background in translational research. The successful candidate will be a self-driven scientist, enjoying challenging research projects in a supportive multidisciplinary environment, and working in a timely fashion with team members. Enjoyment of team science is essential, along with strong communication and presentation skills in English. Investigation will be conducted in vivo in mice, primary neurons, multiple tissues and biofluids, and human cells. The in-depth knowledge of in vivo techniques involving mouse models and major in vitro biochemistry techniques are mandatory. Understanding of mitochondrial biology, cellular metabolism and energetics is an advantage.
A Research Fellow at Mayo Clinic is a temporary position intended to provide training and education in research. Individuals will train in the research program of a Mayo Clinic principal investigator. Qualified individuals will demonstrate the potential for research as evidenced by their training and peer-reviewed publications and should become competitive for national research grants. Proof of English proficiency is required for J-1 Short-Term Scholars, Research Scholars, Professors, Specialists, and Student Interns sponsored by Mayo Clinic. Please attach the following required documents at the time of application.
* Current curriculum vitae and bibliography
* Three letters of recommendation, signed, on letterhead, describing:
+ Relationship to the applicant.
+ Past work/academic performance.
+ Work qualities/personal conduct.
+ Overall assessment of potential for success in research environment.
* Doctoral degree certification, if applicable:
+ Original or notarized copy of diploma or final transcript issued by school (English translation required).
Must have a Ph.D., M.D., or equivalent doctoral degree in a field deemed relevant by the program. Research Fellow is appropriate for individuals who have completed no more than one prior postdoctoral fellowship, at Mayo Clinic or elsewhere.
1. Candidates must have a Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. degree in Biological Sciences and have at least two-year research experiences in the neuroscience and/or cell biology field. An individual with an M.D. degree with strong laboratory based postdoctoral experience will also be considered.
2. Proficiency in in vivo techniques involving mouse models including administering drug treatment, conducting behavior studies, collecting tissues and biofluids for analyses.
3. Proficiency in immunohistochemistry, imaging techniques including fluorescence and confocal microscopy, and data analysis.
4. Basic cell biology techniques including ELISA, SDS-PAGE, western blot, PCR, and other basic assays. Familiarity with electron microscopy is an advantage.
5. Proficiency in basic cell culture techniques. Experience with neuronal cultures is an advantage.
6. Experience with animal surgery using a stereotaxic device.
The candidate will also be expected to write manuscripts reporting research findings, originate new, related, or follow-up research projects, and to originate/participate in grant proposal writing to support the lab. This opportunity is open to U.S. and non-U.S. residents; position is available immediately.
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.