- IMPORTANT NOTE -
INL is actively working to mitigate the risk of CoVid-19 and is promoting protection measures within their community with impact in the regular activities. Ongoing and new R&S processes may have changes during this exceptional period. Please check the details in the job vacancy to keep track on any updates.
Research Engineer – Manufacture and Production of Mechanical Systems (Ref.03.20.07)
Research Centre: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL)
Location: Braga, Portugal
Number of Vacancies: 1
Group/Unit: Corporate Labs
Required Education: Master Degree
Employment Type: Full time
Contract Duration: 48 months
Open Date for Applications: March 11th, 2020
Closing Date for Applications: April 30th, 2020, 23h00m (Lisbon Time)
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL (http://www.inl.int), is the first and only International Intergovernmental Organisation in the world entirely focused on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology.
It was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research, deploy and communicate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to be a recognised leading global nanotechnology innovation hub.
Project Specifications: This project is funded by “Programa Operacional Regional do Norte”.
Reference number: NORTE-06-3559-FSE-000102.
INL is seeking a highly-qualified, self-motivated Research Engineer to reinforce the new INL Application Engineering Unit.
The Application Engineering Unit is expected to function as a cohesive, multifaceted engineering team that promotes the INL’s core R&D&I skills, in particular in the area of system engineering. It aims to expand the installed capacities for an interdisciplinary approach to transform concepts into high quality nano-technology based products and services.
The objective is to create a multidisciplinary team of Engineers from different areas, namely Mechanical, Electric, Physics, and Computer Engineering to work very closely with each other and that will ensure continuity between the knowledge accumulated at INL and the existing knowledge in companies, enabling a faster and more effective data transfer. Each member will bring their contribution to the team to maximise the construction of very complex systems capable of responding to crosscutting needs of the companies with which they will be working.
Role & Key Responsibilities
The Research Engineer will be responsible for designing, modelling, and building mechanical systems and interfaces, being in particular familiar with subtractive (CNC) and additive (3D printing) techniques. The selected candidate will undertake the following main activities and responsibilities:
- System design;
- System modelling;
- Mechanical component manufacturing (workshop, CNC system, 3D printers);
- Interface with system user.
Candidates should meet the following requirements:
- MSc Degree in Mechanical Engineering, or other relevant subject is required.
Experience and Technical Skills
- Relevant professional experience of 5 years in the industry field;
- Ability to design and plan mechanical state-of-the-art components using computer-aided design (CAD);
- Ability to design and plan mechanical components using computer-aided design (CAD), plus the ability to produce these components using conventional workshop techniques, subtractive manufacturing systems (CNC machining) and additive manufacturing systems (3D printing).
- Strong motivation to work both independently and as part of a team in an interdisciplinary environment, with the ability to pay close attention to detail and to meet deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Capable of establishing collaborative ties;
- Team work spirit.
Excellent communication skills in English are required since it’s the working language of INL.
The work plan will be developed at the INL under the scientific guidance of Prof. Paulo Freitas and Dr. Ricardo Ferreira. The successful candidate will be integrated in the new INL Application Engineering Unit.
Duration of the contract
The total duration of the employment contract shall be 48 months and may be renewed based on the performance of the individual and the duration of the project. The expected starting date is May/June 2020.
What we offer
- Social Security costs to be paid by INL;
- Work Accidents insurance costs to be paid by INL, to provide coverage for work accidents and invalidity benefits;
- Health insurance with excellent coverage;
- Tax Benefits;
- A family allowance for staff members that are married or that are living under the status of “common-law couple” and/or have any dependent child;
- A child allowance for each dependent child;
- Free Nursery Service at INL campus (subject to availability);
- Support for Education fees of dependent children;
- Depending on the place of residence, INL covers 100% of travel expenses for all family members;
- 30 days of annual leave;
- Diplomatic status.
How to Apply
The application is made online through our e-recruiting platform. Please click on the “Apply” button.
For the application to be valid it must be made in English and the candidate must complete all required sections of the online application form, as well as submit all required documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please enclose the following supporting documents in pdf format:
(a) Cover letter in English;
(b) Curriculum Vitae in English;
© University certificates.
The documents must be submitted in the “additional files” section using the “add portfolio” icon that appears in the application form.
General Eligibility conditions:
Candidates must comply with the following requirements:
- Hold a Master Degree within the field of the selected vacancy;
- Demonstrate an appropriate profile for the activity to be performed;
- Fluency in English is required;
- May not have a labour contract with INL during the 12 months before the application.
If your application is successful and you accept our offer of employment, you will receive the employment agreement and all other relevant documents. If you are relocating, you will be given assistance by the HR Office.
If Your Application is Not Successful
We highly value your interest in becoming part of the INL experience and it is important for us to maintain good communications with all candidates. No matter the outcome of your application, we will always provide you with feedback.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle
INL promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of and duties based on any possible discriminatory issues.
Enquiries should be made to: email@example.com
The advertisement deadline may be extended at any time without previous notice in order to improve the suitability and effectiveness of the recruitment process.