Research Engineer in Micro & Nanofabrication (Ref.12.19.46)
Employer: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL)
Location: Braga, Portugal
Job type: Full time
Department: Micro and Nanofabrication
Contract duration: 48 months
Closing Date: January 24th 2020, 23h00m (Lisbon Time)
Salary: Competitive package and benefits
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL (http://www.inl.int), was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research and to deploy and articulate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to become the world-wide hub for nanotechnology addressing society’s grand challenges in Ageing & Wellbeing and Mobility & Urban Living and developing a Safe & Secure Society.
INL is seeking a highly-qualified, self-motivated Research Engineer to reinforce its cleanroom staff and activities within device microfabrication and nanotechnology.
Job Role & Key Responsibilities
The Research Engineer will undertake the following main activities and responsibilities:
- Development of micro and nanodevices: modeling and design, process fabrication, packaging and testing.
- Participate actively in support cleanroom activities involving the several research groups installed at INL (MEMS, Spintronics, Thin Film Semiconductors, Solar Cells, to name a few) as well as activities related to RTD agreements with industrial partners.
- Actively seek participation and funding on national, European and industrial projects.
- Depending on his/her proficiency, the candidate will assume the responsibility for one or more cleanroom systems in terms of operation/processing, maintenance/servicing and training of users.
The diversity of processes that the candidates are able to integrate will be a selection criterion.
Candidates should meet the following requirements:
- MSc or PhD degree in Physics, Physical Engineering, Materials Science, Electronics, or other relevant subject is required;
- Previous hands-on experience in cleanroom processing and/or maintenance of cleanroom systems is required;
- Previous hands-on experience in cleanroom processing and/or maintenance of cleanroom systems on 150-mm and 200-mm-diameter substrates and systems such as: Physical and chemical vapor deposition; Ion milling and reactive ion etching and dee; Micro and nano-machining related techniques; Wet etch techniques and electroplating; Lithography pattern transfer (direct write laser, mask aligner and e-beam); Planarization and packaging; and Metrology and control;
- Experience in metrology tools and systems is valued;
- Experience with CAD and process design tools is valued;
- Experience in nanoimprint lithography is valued;
- Previous participation in collaborative national, international and/or industrial research projects;
- Good track of publications record in the area of micro and Nano engineering.
- Strong motivation to work both independently and as part of a team in an interdisciplinary environment, with the ability to pay close attention to detail and to meet deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills and experience in the dissemination of results to the scientific community are expected;
- Capable of establishing collaborative ties with distinguished academic groups and relevant industry partners.
The work plan will be developed at the INL under the scientific guidance of Dr. João Gaspar. The successful candidate will be integrated in the Nanoexploroty Nanotechnology group from the Department of Micro and Nanofabrication.
Duration of the contract
The total duration of the employment contract shall be 48 months and may be renewed based on the performance of the individual and the duration of the project. The expected starting date is January 2020.
General Eligibility conditions, required qualifications and expertise:
Candidates must comply with the following requirements:
- Hold a Master or PhD Degree within the field of the selected vacancy;
- Be a Portuguese citizen, a European Union citizen or a non-European Union Citizen with a scientific and professional curriculum that demonstrates an appropriate profile for the activity to be performed;
- Fluency in English is required.
Candidates must enclose the following supporting documents in pdf format, failing which the application will not be considered:
(a) Cover letter in English;
(b) Curriculum Vitae in English;
© Official transcripts of all relevant academic degrees.
How to apply
The application is made online. Please click on the ‘Apply for this job’ button.
For the application to be valid, the candidate must complete all required sections of the online application form as well as submit all required documents.
The documents must be submitted through the online platform Jobvite, in the “additional files” section using the “add portfolio” icon that appears in the application form.
What we offer
- Social Security costs to be paid by INL;
- Work Accidents insurance costs to be paid by INL, to provide coverage for work accidents and invalidity benefits;
- Health insurance with excellent coverage;
- Tax Benefit: The personnel working at the International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory are exempt from national income taxes so the only deduction from their part of the salary will be 11 % for social security and 12% for an internal tax;
- A family allowance of 160€/month for staff members that are married or that are living under the status of “common-law couple” and/or have any dependent child;
- A child allowance of 200€/month for each dependent child;
- Free Nursery Service at INL campus (subject to availability);
- Support for Education fees of dependent children;
- Depending on the place of residence, INL covers 100% of travel expenses for all family members.
If your application is successful and you accept our offer of employment, you will receive the employment agreement and all other relevant documents. If you are relocating, you will be given assistance by the HR Office.
If Your Application is Not Successful
We highly value the interest shown from applicants wishing to become a part of the INL experience. It is important for us to maintain good communications with candidates. No matter the outcome of the application, we always send the applicant an answer.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle
INL is an equal opportunity organisation, committed to providing equal career opportunities and firmly adheres to a principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issues.
Enquires should be made to: email@example.com.
The advertisement deadline may be extended at any time without previous notice in order to improve the suitability and effectiveness of the recruitment process