As a University of Excellence, Universität Hamburg is one of the strongest research universities in Germany. As a flagship university in the greater Hamburg region, it nurtures innovative, co-operative contacts to partners within and outside academia. It also provides and promotes sustainable education, knowledge, and knowledge exchange locally, nationally, and internationally.
The University of Hamburg invites applications for three positions as
- SALARY LEVEL 13/14 TV-L -
The position in accordance with Section 28 subsection 3 of the Hamburg higher education act (Hamburgisches Hochschulgesetz, HmbHG) commences on 01 April 2020.
This is a fixed-term contract in accordance with Section 2 of the academic fixed-term labor contract act (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz, WissZeitVG). The term is fixed for a period of 36 months. The position calls for 39 hours per week.
Duties primarily include teaching and research. Research associates may also pursue independent research and further academic qualifications.
These three positions allow to carry out own ambitious research projects and include a generous research budget of up to 20.000 Euros per annum. All Research Associates can decide freely on their research topic, but must demonstrate that their project fruitfully links up with the emerging research fields of the University of Hamburg (Health Economics; Neurosciences and Cognitive Systems; Law in Global Contexts; The Early Modern World; Grounds, Causes, Reasons). A professor from one of these fields will therefore act as mentor to each Research Associate. The University offers an academic environment that ensures that Research Associates enjoy extensive support as well as access to all services offered by the Hamburg Research Academy. The position asks for teaching hours according to the LVVO (Lehrverpflichtungsverordnung für die Hamburger Hochschulen).
A university degree in a relevant subject plus doctorate. The doctorate must have been completed within the past 36 months (from the date of the doctoral degree certificate).
Applications must include the following documents :
• Project description (objectives, preparatory work, work plan, methods and milestones) with a general plan of how the supporting project funds of up to € 20,000 per annum will be used. The project description must not exceed 12 pages.
• A supporting document explaining (1) why the project is relevant to the individual career goals, (2) why University of Hamburg’s research environment fits in with the proposed project, and (3) what career steps will be pursued after the position as research associate. This document may not exceed three pages
• Supporting letter from a professor from one of the five emerging fields of the University of Hamburg who commits to act as a mentor and outlines why the proposed project fits with existing research (group)
• Two academic reference letters, one of which should be from the current supervisor
• A tabular CV
• All degree certificates as well as the doctoral degree certificate or a confirmation of the successful defence of the doctorate (the doctoral degree certificate must be provided at the start of the employment)
All application documents can be submitted either in English or German.
The University aims to increase the number of women in research and teaching and explicitly encourages women to apply. Equally qualified female applicants will receive preference in accordance with the Hamburg act on gender equality (Hamburgisches Gleichstellungsgesetz, HmbGleiG).
Qualified disabled candidates or applicants with equivalent status receive preference in the application process.
Please send applications by 15 December 2019 to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not submit original documents as we are not able to return them. Any documents submitted will be destroyed after the application process has concluded.