The Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT) invites applications from PhD holders in the general area of software defined networks and network function virtualization for next generation satellite communication systems within its SIGCOM research group. SnT carries out interdisciplinary research in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services, often in collaboration with industrial, governmental or international partners. For further information, you may refer to www.securityandtrust.lu
The SIGCOM research group, headed by Prof. Björn Ottersten and Prof. Symeon Chatzinotas, carries out research activities in the areas of signal processing for wireless communication systems including satellite communications and radar systems, and is rapidly expanding its research areas to various enabling technologies for beyond 5G/6G wireless networks including the next generation of satellite communication systems. For details, you may refer to the following: https://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/sigcom
This is a fully funded Postdoc position for 2 years within a large, national research project (INSTRUCT – INtegrated Satellite-TeRrestrial Systems for Ubiquitous Beyond 5G CommunicaTions). The project is run in close cooperation with SES (https://www.ses.com/). Therefore, the objectives of the project are aligned with the business interests of SES towards their next-generation satellite communication systems. More precisely, the project aims to research, develop and validate Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Function Virtualization (NFV) technologies towards the softwarization and virtualization/cloudification of satellite ground segments in various use cases and scenarios, including enhanced mobile broadband (eMBB), massive machine-type communications (mMTC) and ultra-reliable low-latency communications (URLLC).
The successful candidate will work with an academic supervisor from the University of Luxembourg and with an industrial supervisor from SES, and join a strong and motivated research team lead by Prof. Björn Ottersten and Prof. Symeon Chatzinotas. The candidate is also expected to spend 25% of his/her time at the SES headquarters in Betzdorf, Luxembourg.
The position holder will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Contribute to the national project “INtegrated Satellite-TeRrestrial Systems for Ubiquitous Beyond 5G CommunicaTions – INSTRUCT”
- Project website: https://instruct-ipbg.uni.lu
- Carry out research in the predefined areas
- Disseminate results through scientific publications
- Present results in well-known international conferences and workshops
- Coordinating research projects and preparing project deliverables
- Preparing new research proposals to attract industrial, national and European projects
- Implementing, experimenting and validating solutions through relevant open-source tools, platforms and available testbeds
- Providing guidance to PhD and MSc students
- Organizing relevant workshops and demonstrations
- A PhD degree in Telecommunication Engineering, or Electrical Engineering or Computer Science/Engineering with focus on Telecommunication Networks (ideally on 5G related topic)
- Sound publication track-record in the areas related to software defined and virtualized/cloud networks
- Strong background in Computer Networking technologies (ideally in SDN/NFV)
- Knowledge of one or multiple areas listed below is highly desirable:
- SDN, NFV and Network Slicing
- Integrated satellite-terrestrial networks and architectures
- Network Management and Orchestration (MANO)
- Multi-access Edge Computing (MEC)
- 3GPP standards and 4G/5G technologies
- Experience with relevant open-source platforms and tools (e.g., OpenDayLight, ONOS, Ryu, OpenStack, OSM, ONAP, OpenBaton, Open5GCore, OAI, OpenSAND, etc)
- Strong computer programming skills. Python or C++ is a plus
- Experience of working with industrial projects or public funded research projects related to 5G, SDN and NFV is highly desirable
- Highly committed, excellent team-worker, and strong critical thinking skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
The University offers a two-year employment contract and may be extended up to five years. The University offers highly competitive salaries and is an equal opportunity employer.
Application should include:
- Curriculum Vitae (including your contact address, work experience and list of publications)
- Cover letter indicating the research area of interest and your motivation
- A research statement (max 1 page)
- Contact information for 3 referees
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for applications: July 31, 2020.
For further information, please contact: Dr. Shree K. Sharma (email@example.com).
Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered. Early submission is encouraged; applications will be processed upon arrival.