Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts
The Helmholtz Centre Potsdam – GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences is the national centre for geosphere research. As a member of the Helmholtz Association we are part of the largest German scientific organization. With around 1,300 employees (including our guests) we develop a sound understanding of the systems and processes of the solid Earth as well as strategies and options for action to face global change and its regional impacts, to understand natural hazards and reduce associated risks, and to assess the influence of humans on the Earth’s system. As a partner in Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), the GFZ has access to an excellent network of other geoscience institutions in Potsdam and Berlin. This largest regional concentration of geoscientific competence in Europe offers first-class cooperation and development opportunities. For section 2.8 “Magnetospheric Physics” (department "Geophysics"), we are looking for a:
Reference Number 4152
Job responsibilities will include a variety of tasks related to machine learning, data science and scientific programming. The expertise of a successfull candidate should include experience with data science and big data, maintaining large data repositories and/or managing a software repository.
- maintain data and code repositories
- edit the website
- develop real-time visualization on the website
- develop various programming tools for scientific codes and data analysis
- document and test existing codes
- adopt scientific codes for different scientific problems
- Master’s degree in computer sciences or natural sciences
- knowledge of data science and machine learning concepts
- several years of working experience with IT programming or scientific programming
- knowledge of Unix, Mac and Windows operating systems
- experience with various programming languages, including C++, Matlab, IDL, Python, Fortran
- experience with maintaining Unix workstations
- ability to work with large datasets
- experience with machine learning, data mining and data assimilation is a plus
- ability to work within a team
- attention to detail and organizational skills
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Start date: as soon as possible
Fixed-term: 2 years
Salary: This position has been assessed as being salary group 13 according to "TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)". The salary group will be determined by the conditions of the collective wage agreement and the appropriate personal qualifications.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
Place of work: Potsdam
What we offer:
- ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- state-of-the-art equipment
- public service benefits
- extensive training opportunities
- professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- flexible working hours and conditions
- support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- institute day-care centre on site
- working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- good public transport connections by being in walking distance of Potsdam main station
Did we pique your interest?
If so, we are looking forward to receiving your application by the 31st March 2020. Please use our online application form only.Please include the following documents in your application: Statement of technical skills (IT skills, operating systems, list of developed codes, machine learning tools) including the years of experience or level of proficiency (basic/intermediate/expert); CV; cover letter; certificates/transcripts Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore, we explicitly welcome applications from qualified women. Severely disabled candidates with equal qualifications will be given preference according to the SGB IX.Your personal data will be treated in line with Art. 6 (1b) and Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with § 26 BbgDSG during the selection process. After the selection process has been concluded, your application documents will be deleted, in line with data protection regulation. If you have any general questions about the application process, please contact Ms Buge on +49 (0) 331 288-28787.