About Flamingo Therapeutics
Flamingo Therapeutics is a newly created spin-off company from VIB, UGent, University of Michigan and VIB’s partner university KU Leuven, which has secured substantial funding from venture capital investors and VLAIO to develop novel treatment options for various cancers, focusing on the non-coding genome.
Flamingo TX is looking for a dynamic, self-motivated and proactive Research Associate to help kick off our newly founded biotech company in Leuven. You are committed and passionate about joining a new team which focuses on developing novel cancer therapeutics. You thrive in small-team environments where self-sufficiency, initiative and flexibility are key and lines of communications are short. You want to play a role in building a collaborative, interactive, diligent and science-driven culture from scratch in order to meet benchmarks and milestones set by venture capital investors.
This role is a hands-on role, where you will work with a project manager to create and test reproducible cellular assays (cell proliferation, cell death, migration,…) in various (2D and potentially 3D) in vitro cancer models, including assay design, validation and troubleshooting. You will ensure that analyses are executed safely, efficiently and correctly, while taking initiatives to improve pipelines where necessary. You can clearly communicate your results orally and you will prepare data reports for the project manager through the use of electronic lab notebook systems and slide decks. In addition, you will take an operational role in the purchase of equipment and reagents, managing stocks and budgets and organizing the lab in collaboration with the project manager and COO.
- A BSc or MSc in biomedical science, laboratory technology or a similar degree
- Proficient in the following techniques:
- Cell culture: oncology models, primary cultures and cell lines
- RT-(q)PCR, RNA extraction & handling
- Medium-throughput cellular imaging in multi-well plates / image-based cellular screens
- Various transfection techniques
- Cloning & design of DNA constructs
- Ability to create clear and concise reports on experimental data
- Ability and willingness to efficiently adopt additional or new techniques as necessary/required by the company
- Experience in lab management and -organization (purchasing, ELN, maintenance, training)
- Fluent in English and Dutch (oral and written)
Key personal characteristicsThe ideal candidate
- Is well-organized with attention for detail
- Looks forward to working in a small team and is flexible w/r to tasks
- Holds her/himself to high standards with respect to scientific integrity
- Has excellent communication skills and a collaborative mindset
- Takes responsibility and initiative where necessary to support the team
- Likes to collaborate to achieve joint success
- Is excited to help build an organization
- Can work in Leuven on a daily (Full Time) basis
- An exciting job in a dynamic, international, early-stage biotech environment
- An opportunity to grow intellectually as the company grows
- A competitive compensation package
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.