Job Title: Research Associate (Analytical Chemistry)
Reports to: Director of Research
Department: Research and Development
Date Created: 4-13-2020
The Research Associate (RA) will play a critical role within the Sterol Profling team of Convelo Therapeutics, helping to support small molecule drug development. As a member of the R&D group, the RA will work to support drug discovery and drug development activities and drive the analytical chemistry efforsts of Convelo. The RA will be responsible for generation and preparation of samples of drug-treated cells, including primary cells and stem cells, as well as and general machine maintenance for GC-MS based analysis. Important aspects of this role include a strong background in both biology/cell culture and analytical chemistry, excellent organization skills, flexibility, and the ability to thrive in an efficient, highly interactive, goal-oriented team environment.
The laboratory skills and training include expertise in analytical chemistry techniques (purification, solubilization, stability determination and analytical methods such as MS, GC-MS and/or HPLC), aseptic technique, cell culture (mammalian) techniques, and general laboratory safety.
- Ability to design, analyze and interpret experiments and results in accordance with accepted standards.
- Display basic laboratory skills such as sterile technique, pipetting, media preparation from stock solutions among others.
- Experience with the preparation and and analysis of samples for Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry
- Experience maintaining and performing minor repairs on Gas Chromatograph and Mass Spectromter.
- Ability to develop and optimize methods for detection of proteins and small molecules.
- Expectation to culture cells across a variety of cell lines, species, scales, plate formats and media conditions within specifications and timelines provided in the batch records.
- Ability to read and understand Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and contribute to writing protocols and SOPs in their area of expertise
- Demonstrates excellent attention to detail, can work quickly and accurately, organizing tasks and delivering quality with efficiency
- Demonstrates knowledge and efficient use of Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and other required computer applications
- Ability to work and maintain strong relationships with department managers, members of your team and team members at the company
- Takes initiative responding to production needs as they may change at an expedited pace
- Follows established maintenance of laboratory notebook records.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Biology, Biochemistry, or a related field with 5 years’ experience or Master’s with 2-5 years’ experience.
- Experience working in a laboratory setting
Working Conditions/ Physical Demands
General laboratory environment, must be able to sit, stand, and utilize a computer and other laboratory equipment.
Commensurate with skill and experience.