The Department of Biology at United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) is recruiting a full-time research assistant to join a research project investigating the mechanisms of sperm storage in female elasmobranch fishes (sharks and rays). This is a two-year position with an anticipated start date in mid to late spring, 2019.
Duties will primarily involve the preparation and processing of elasmobranch reproductive tissues for light microscopy, transmission electron microscopy and scanning electron microscopy. There will be some fieldwork involved but this is mainly a lab based position. Full training will be provided, but applicants with previous histological experience are particularly encouraged to apply.1. A bachelor’s degree in a relevant biological discipline (e.g. zoology, anatomy, physiology).
2. A good working knowledge of light microscopy.
3. An ability to live and work in a diverse, multicultural environment.
4. Proficiency in written and spoken English.
5. Full driving license.
2. Experience in histological tissue processing and microtomy (paraffin and resin systems).
3. Experience with histochemical stains.
4. Experience with image-analysis software.
5. A good working knowledge of scanning and transmission electron microscopy.
6. Extensive knowledge of vertebrate reproductive systems and strategies.