The MAX DELBRÜCK CENTER FOR MOLECULAR MEDICINE (MDC) is a member of the Helmholtz Association of National Research Centers, supported by the Federal Government of Germany and the Land Berlin. For our Molecular Oncology, we are looking for one
Research assistant (undergraduate/post-graduate/junior post-doctoral levels)
The research group led by Dr. Gaetano Gargiulo at the Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC, Berlin, Germany) seeks to recruit an ambitious and self-motivated computational scientist with interest in methodological approaches to study molecular mechanisms of cancer. The lab is interested in tumor heterogeneity and resistance to treatments. We aim to identify molecular biomarkers for response to therapy and mechanisms of resistance. Our focus is on Glioblastoma which is an incurable primary brain tumor, and Non-small-cell Lung cancer, which is the most frequent cancer type. We generate and characterize “humanized” animal models to accurately reflect patients at molecular level and exploit these models for state-of-art genetic screens in vivo. Moreover, we combine systems and synthetic biology to dissect tumor homeostasis without perturbing it.
The group combines advanced animal tumor models with genomic, epigenomic and computational technologies. Among others, we generate single-cell gene expression, perturbation and chromatin accessibility datasets. We are also developing software to bring our synthetic biology approach to the research community. Among others, the themes covered in this position are:
- Integration of genomics and transcriptomic datasets to investigate genotype-to-molecular phenotype connections.
- Genetic tracing and perturbation using barcoding coupled with single-cell transcriptomics.
- Development of novel pipelines and machine learning approaches to decode regulatory networks and generate synthetic regulatory circuits.
The MDC is a leading center for Biomedical Research in Europe, offers an international research environment, interdisciplinary training, access to state-of-the-art technology platforms, and on-campus teaching lectures and workshops for career development (https://www.mdc-berlin.de/). The group is funded by Helmholtz and ERC.
A friendly, enthusiastic, dedicated and collaborative attitude. Demonstrated programming, scripting and statistical data analysis in R, Perl/Python and a solid background in machine learning. Education in bioinformatics, computational biology or expertise in single-cell RNA-seq analyses or machine learning are advantageous. We can easily accommodate interest in acquiring wet-lab skills in molecular and cellular biology.
- A University degree in the domain of life sciences obtained in 2019 or expected within 2020.
- At least one first author high-quality peer-reviewed publication.
- Good spoken and written communication skills in English.
- When a strong background in line with this call is evident in the application, individuals without a degree or publications are also welcome to apply and will be considered. ** Applications at postdoctoral level with >1 year from PhD may only be considered if they hold candidates with an outstanding track record in the relevant field. Manuscripts submitted to preprint servers (e.g. bioRxiv.org) will count if also submitted to a high-quality scientific journal for peer-review.
The contract duration is provisionally limited to one year, according to the project funding. Conditions for extension beyond one year will be discussed during the interview. If a PhD training is sought, the position can be extended to 3 years.
The salary plus benefits is competitive, commensurate with experience and track record (Salary scale: E13 TVÖD/Bund, either 25,35 h or 39 h, depending on the position).
The position remains open until filled.
The MDC is an equal opportunity employer and supports gender equality.
For further information please contact:
The applications should be concise (less than 3 pages, including CV) and highlight how the background of the candidate fits the call. If peer-reviewed publications are not available, scRNA-seq or machine learning-based analyses may be part of the application. In your cover letter, please indicated the ideal starting date.