Posted about 1 week agoExpires on October 07, 2019
Research Assistant II - Breast Medical Oncology
The Breast Medical Oncology department has missions of research, patient care, education and prevention for women and men diagnosed with breast cancer in addition to training the next generation of physicians, clinicians and clinical scientists for cancer research. Along with clinical research initiatives, we strive to understand the biology and development of breast cancer through basic and translational science, bringing new knowledge in disease prevention and treatment into our patient care in the Nellie B. Connally Breast Center.
Our Vision: To be the premier breast cancer research center by enhancing research on cancer prevention, developing innovative therapies based on hypothesis-driven basic/translational/clinical research, and nurturing a new generation of oncology investigators.
Our Mission: To reduce the suffering of breast cancer patients, provide new knowledge through research, clinical care, cancer prevention and education and outreach with the ultimate goal of eliminating breast cancer.
Tissue Culture: Required to have excellent tissue culture technique and be able to maintain and store cell lines under sterile and healthy condition. Candidate should follow ATCC guideline for cell culture and cryogenic storage.
Laboratory Animals: Required to know how to perform oral gavages, ip injection, and measure tumor size. Candidate should successfully complete training and certification by the Department of Veterinary Medicine to handle and work with live animals, primarily mice, in a safe and humane manner, following institutional guidelines for disposal of dead animals, biohazard and used needles.
Basic Techniques in Molecular Biology/Cancer Biology: Extract DNA, RNA, or protein samples from cells or tissues. Perform cell proliferation (cytotoxicity) assay, soft agar assay, 3D-assay, migration, invasion, mammosphere assay, immunohistochemistry staining, immunofluorescence staining, FACS analysis, western blot.
Record Keeping and Maintenance of Laboratory: Responsible for ordering laboratory supplies, maintaining inventory of antibodies, cell lines, plasmids, and preparing common reagents such as buffers and plasmids.
- Participate and help other lab members to promote ongoing projects in the laboratory.
- Keep accurate records of experimental design and results, perform accurate data analysis of experimental results and communicate these records to PI and other members of the laboratory.
- Prepare final reports in the format requested for the data generated by suggested due date.
- Compile research data and submit results to PI for inclusion in publications, grants or protocols.
- Have knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet software, graphic and statistical programs to create charts, posters and reports of the results.
- Present findings of research projects to laboratory members during laboratory meetings. Train visiting scientists and other research staff and students in research procedures and the use of laboratory equipment.
- Diligence and willingness to learn and to help others in the implementation of new techniques .
Other duties assigned
Education Required: Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Experience Required: Two years experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 126703
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Work Week: Days
Fund Type: Soft
Pivotal Position: Yes
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 34,400
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 43,000
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 51,600
Science Jobs: Yes