About Us: The Burton Laboratory at Scripps Research seeks a highly motivated Laboratory Manager to function as a primary team leader for a multi-disciplinary research group focused on developing rational vaccine strategies, particularly against HIV and particularly using an approach termed “Reverse Vaccinology 2.0”. In this approach, broadly neutralizing antibodies isolated from natural HIV infection are investigated in interaction with their sole viral target, the HIV Envelope, and the data used to guide immunogen design and immunization strategies. Immunogens are then evaluated in detail in animal models and the results used to iteratively improve immunogens as we move toward an HIV vaccine suitable to protect humans.
Position Title: Scientific Associate (Lab Manager)
The Department of Immunology and Microbiology at Scripps Research in La Jolla, California is seeking a highly motivated researcher with strong managerial and organizational skills to join our team as a lab manager.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant scientific discipline or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skill and abilities have been attained.
- Requires a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience. Wet-lab experience of molecular biology, protein chemistry and immunological and virological techniques are all an advantage. Applicants with less experience will not be considered for this position.
- The successful candidate will be in charge of organizing and managing everyday workflows in the laboratory. They will define, implement, and enforce operating procedures and standards to ensure laboratory safety as well as overall organization and cleanliness. The successful candidate will also manage inventory and purchase of general laboratory supplies, and work with groups within the lab to reconcile orders, invoices, and receipt confirmations. Moreover, the successful applicant will coordinate equipment maintenance including calibration, service contract renewal, software and hardware upgrades, trouble-shoot reported instrument errors, and request or coordinate equipment repairs. They will also oversee all BSL 2/3 laboratory operations, including equipment acquisition, monitoring, and maintenance.
- Create, amend, and renew IBC/IACUC/IRB registration and other paperwork (e.g. import, shipping documents).
- Laboratory COVID Coordinator. (Institute policy liaison)
- On-board new lab members. (Includes safety training and assigning bench and desk space
The successful candidate will possess:
- Proven experience in general laboratory housekeeping and management
- Excellent problem-solving and interpersonal skills to effectively manage a diverse workforce.
- Ability to work independently, as well as with P.I.s, supervisors, postdoctoral scholars, and other members of the research group.
This position works in a laboratory environment. Further details of the physical requirements of established essential functions for this position will be addressed/discussed during the interview process.
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.
The safety and well-being of our candidates, our people and their families continues to be a top priority. Until restrictions change, interviews will be conducted virtually. New hires will work remotely, unless specifically authorized for campus access.