eLife is looking for an early-career scientist (post-doc or early group leader), based in Japan, who wishes to take on a paid internship to support our broad mission to improve research communication. Reporting to eLife’s Journal Development Editor, you will help to enhance eLife’s reputation for scientific excellence and innovation and our efforts to promote greater transparency and collaboration in science. Key goals are to encourage regional engagement and submissions in all areas of the life and biomedical sciences.
- Represent eLife to the scientific community, for example via public speaking, visiting labs, and attending scientific meetings. With remote support from eLife staff, the intern will work locally to organise eLife’s presence at such events.
- Help to identify regional researchers, for consideration for the editorial board, eLife’s early-career reviewer pool, and as potential authors.
- Provide guidance and content for eLife’s presence on local social media networks.
- We would expect the successful candidate to undertake training at the start of the internship to learn more about the organisation and to be coached in the tasks to be performed.
Experience and Attributes
You will be an active researcher in the field of life and biomedical science, ideally a postdoctoral researcher or an early-stage group leader. You will work remotely but stay in close contact with a small and lively team based in Cambridge, UK. You will need to be an excellent communicator in English and in Japanese (in person and in writing) and be willing to undertake travel to relevant labs and scientific meetings in the region. The ideal candidate should also have:
- Knowledge and experience of journal publishing and research communication
- The confidence to communicate effectively with colleagues and potential authors
- Confidence in using relevant local social media platforms
- Strong organisational skills, initiative, and the ability to work independently
- Demonstrable commitment to open science practices
Terms and Conditions
The post is a six-month, part-time freelance position, working remotely from Japan.
In order to apply, please provide:
- A 250–500-word cover letter explaining (in English) how you hope to contribute to eLife and what you hope to achieve with this position
- CV (in English)
- If your first language is not English, please provide recent evidence that your spoken and written command of English is adequate for the position, for example by providing a copy of one of these certificates: CAE/CPE/IELTS/Pearson or TOEFL (higher level for IELTS, Pearson or TOEFL required)
- If your first language is not Japanese, please provide recent evidence that your spoken and written command of Japanese is adequate for the position, for example by providing a copy of the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test certificate (N1 or N2 levels required)
- A supporting letter from your supervisor (if applicable), indicating that you are able to work part-time and receive partial salary
- A list of affiliations with professional societies (optional)
Please send your application to email@example.com. The closing date for applications is Friday 27 December 2019 at 5pm (GMT).