Ref.07.19.25 – Junior Research Fellow – Smart bio-based surfaces
Type of contract: Limited duration
Research Centre: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL
Number of vacancies: 1
Duty Station: Braga, Portugal
Career Stage: Master degree
Open date for applications: July 22nd 2019
Closing date for applications: August 20th 2019, 23:00 Lisbon Time
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL (http://www.inl.int), was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research and to deploy and articulate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to become the world-wide hub for nanotechnology addressing society’s grand challenges in Ageing & Wellbeing and Mobility & Urban Living and developing a Safe & Secure Society.
Project specifications: The Food Processing Group from the Department of Life Sciences participates in the following Scientific Research:
(a) Name of the project: Navigator - Inpactus tecnologias inovadores a partir do eucalipto – sub-projeto 5 (tissue paper)
(b) Reference number: 21874 – COMPETE 2020 nº246/EIXO II/2017
© Scientific Area: Nanotechnology and Materials Science
(d) Description: INL is seeking a highly motivated researcher with a scientific background in Nanotechnology, Materials Science, Food Science and Technology, Biological Engineering or related areas, to work on the development of novel smart bio-based surfaces.
Description of the functions and key primary responsibilities:
The successful candidate is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Development, characterization, and functional evaluation of different nano-encapsulation systems for the controlled release of bioactive compounds.
- Functionalization of bio-based materials, using the nano-encapsulated compounds, to develop novel smart bio-based surfaces for different applications.
- Contribution with own ideas and communication of scientific results in oral and written form.
Specific Eligibility Conditions:
Candidates must meet the following conditions, as they are required by the nature of the duties the candidate will be required to perform:
- MSc Degree, Chemistry, Physics, Pharmacy, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Biological Engineering, Food Science or related areas;
- Experience in R&D some of the following areas: micro and nanoencapsulation of bioactive compounds (use of ultrasound-assisted emulsification, prilling by vibration, electrospray/electrospinning, etc.) using biopolymers, nano-functionalization of biodegradable surfaces (electrospray/electrospinning, ultrasonic spray coating, etc.), assessment of in vitro bioactivity (e.g. antimicrobial) and physical and chemical characterization techniques (DLS, TGA, Electron Microscopy, FTIR, etc.)
The work plan will be developed at the INL under the scientific guidance of Dr. Pablo Fuciños. The successful candidate will be integrated in the Food Processing group from the Department of Life Sciences.
Duration of the contract:
The total duration of the employment contract shall be 6 months and may be renewed based on the performance of the individual and the duration of the project. The expected starting date is September 2019.
General Eligibility conditions, required qualifications and expertise:
Candidates must comply with the following requirements:
- Hold a Master Degree within the field of the selected vacancy;
- Be a Portuguese citizen, a European Union citizen or a non-European Union Citizen with a scientific and professional curriculum that demonstrates an appropriate profile for the activity to be performed;
- Fluency in English is required.
Candidates must enclose the following supporting documents in pdf format, failing which the application will not be considered:
(a) Cover letter in English;
(b) Curriculum Vitae in English;
© Official transcripts of all relevant academic degrees.
How to apply:
The application is made online. Please click on the ‘Apply for this job’ button.
For the application to be valid, the candidate must complete all required sections of the online application form as well as submit all required documents.
The documents must be submitted through the online platform Jobvite, in the “additional files” section using the “add portfolio” icon that appears in the application form.
What we offer:
- Social Security costs to be paid by INL;
- Work Accidents insurance costs to be paid by INL, to provide coverage for work accidents and invalidity benefits;
- Health insurance with excellent coverage;
- Tax Benefit: The personnel working at the International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory are exempt from national income taxes so the only deduction from their part of the salary will be 11 % for social security and 12% for an internal tax;
- A family allowance of 160€/month for staff members that are married or that are living under the status of “common-law couple” and/or have any dependent child;
- A child allowance of 200€/month for each dependent child;
- Free Nursery Service at INL campus (subject to availability);
- Support for Education fees of dependent children;
- Depending on the place of residence, INL covers 100% of travel expenses for all family members.
If your application is successful and you accept our offer of employment, you will receive the employment agreement and all other relevant documents. If you are relocating, you will be given assistance by the HR Office.
If Your Application is Not Successful
We highly value the interest shown from applicants wishing to become a part of the INL experience. It is important for us to maintain good communications with candidates. No matter the outcome of the application, we always send the applicant an answer.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle:
INL promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
Enquires should be made to: email@example.com.
The advertisement deadline may be extended at any time without previous notice in order to improve the suitability and effectiveness of the recruitment process.