Ref.06.19.22 – Head of Research Department – Nanosafety
INL is seeking a leading researcher on Nanosafety domain
Research Centre: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL
Number of vacancies: 1
Duty Station: Braga, Portugal
Career Stage: 10+ years of active research after PhD studies
Open date for applications: 4th June 2019
Closing Date for applications: 18th August 2019 – 23:00 (Lisbon Time)
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL, located in Braga, Portugal, was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research and to deploy and articulate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to become the world-wide hub for nanotechnology addressing society’s grand challenges with specific emphasis on Aging & Wellbeing, Mobility & Urbanisation and a Safe & Secure Society.
The work undertaken by our research centre will have a significant impact on people’s lives as well as notably contributing to the development of our society at large. INL recruits from all over the world and the objective of our recruitment process is to ensure that staff are employed on the basis of skills and requirements for the job and that there is a mutually beneficial relationship between INL’s expectations and the staff member’s personal and professional career development. We value the diversity and multiculturalism of our teams. Further, our family friendly working practices and benefits are a great asset and an essential element in cultivating an attractive and inspiring workplace.
(a) Reference number: 857253 - SiNfONiA- WIDESPREAD-04-2019: ERA Chairs.
(b) Scientific Areas: Nanosafety, Nanomaterials.
Under the acquired funding from European Commission Work Program Horizon 2020 – ERA Chair (H2020-WIDESPREAD-2018-04), a new Nanosafety R&D Department is being established at INL. The SiNfONiA project aims to recruit the ERA Chair Holder as a Head of this new Department and a supporting team with expertise in the emerging area of evaluating the safety of nanomaterials. The overall aim of the project is to boost RTD activities in the Nanosafety area and strengthen the research and innovation potential of INL.
The selected candidate should be a leading researcher in this field, with a proven track record of research excellence and research team management, being responsible to develop research and technology activities, deploy the research area knowledge and resources in projects, seek engagement with the industrial sector and secure external funding.
Key primary responsibilities
The selected candidate will be performing, among others, the following functions:
- Conduct and produce high quality original research;
- Plan and manage efficiently research group activities;
- Engage in collaborative research with other internal and external groups;
- Engage in innovation activities with industry ensuring timely and accurate deployment of knowledge;
- Disseminate research results through suitable channels;
- Secure funding through EU RTD projects and contracts with industry;
- Manage the yearly budget and secure the financial sustainability of the research group;
- Engage in internal managerial and organisational activities.
Conditions for the appointment
Appointments should always be preceded by the validation of the following aspects:
- Equal opportunities and non-discrimination;
- Excellence of the candidates;
- Alignment with INL strategic research innovation agenda.
Candidates must meet the following conditions, as they are required by the nature of the duties to perform:
- PhD Degree in Chemistry, Biology or any relevant fields related with Nanosafety;
- 10+ years of active research after PhD studies. Candidates with an exceptional and international CV, but with shorter research career will also be considered;
- Expertise in functionalization and characterization of nanoparticles, microfluidics or lab-on-a-chip technology, or cytotoxicity screening of nanoparticles will be positively evaluated;
- Strong record of publications, professional service, and recognition within the scientific community;
- Large experience in leading research groups in research organizations and/or industry;
- Proven track-record in securing funding;
- Experience in establishing collaborative relationships with relevant industry R&D stakeholders;
- Experience in technology transfer and contracts with industry will be highly valued;
- Proven track-record in workshop and conference organising committees and delivering invited talks.
INL will appoint a selection committee consisting of up to 4 highly ranked members from Academia and/or Industry and a member of Human Resources.
Duration of the contract
The successful candidate will be offered a 4 year limited-duration employment contract. The appointment shall cover the duration of the project in accordance with the rules set out by the project. This will be a tenure-track position that that may be renewed based on the performance of the individual. The ERA Chair Holder will be appointed to a full-time position and must devote full time to the activities connected to the ERA Chair work at INL.
The expected starting date is December 2019.
General Eligibility conditions and required qualifications:
Candidates must comply with the following requirements:
1. Hold a PhD Degree within the fields of the selected vacancy;
2. Be a Portuguese citizen, a European Union citizen or a non-European Union Citizen with a scientific and professional curriculum that demonstrates an appropriate profile for the activity to be performed;
3. Fluency in English.
Candidates must enclose the following supporting documents, failing which the application will not be considered:
(a) Cover letter in English;
(b) Curriculum Vitae in English including the contact details of 3 references;
© List of publications;
(d) Statement on research interest for the next 5 years (maximum 10 pages) including the funding plan, S&T excellence, objectives, overall work plan, expected main results/impact and synergies with current activities at INL;
(e) Official transcripts of all relevant academic degrees.
Note: The documents must be submitted through the online platform Jobvite, in the “additional files” section using the “add portfolio” icon that appears in the application form.
We recommend applicants to read the following documents:
The evaluation process will follow a three-stage process:
1. Candidate eligibility check
Only full applications will be considered. The applicant will be responsible for the data submission and validation. The application language is English.
Applications that do not meet the eligibility conditions will not be considered.
2. Assessment of the Research Experience of the Candidate
Candidates are evaluated on multiple parameters, including but not limited to: research excellence and scientific outputs, RTD projects and securing project funding and international and inter-disciplinary experience.
More detailed information can be found in the Guide for Evaluators.
Interviews will be conducted through web conference or face-to-face meetings, as may be deemed appropriate.
The Selection Committee will draw up the minutes of the R&S process in which candidates will be ranked according to their evaluation scores.
Approval and formal offer
The successful applicant will be offered the corresponding position.
How to apply
The application is made online. Please click on the ‘Apply for this job’ button.
For the application to be valid, the candidate must complete all required sections of the online application form as well as submit all required documents.
The closing date for applications is August 18th, 2019.
What we offer
- Tenure-track position with an initial appointment for 4 years. For candidates with an exceptional track record a tenured position may be granted;
- Starting package for purchases of equipment and resources to hire 4 Staff Researchers;
- Social Security costs to be paid by INL;
- Work Accidents insurance costs to be paid by INL, to provide coverage for work accidents and invalidity benefits;
- Health insurance with excellent coverage;
- Tax Benefit: The personnel working at the International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory are exempt from national income taxes so the only deduction from their part of the salary will be 11 % for social security and 12% for an internal tax;
- A family allowance of 160€/month for staff members that are married or that are living under the status of “common-law couple” and/or have any dependent child;
- A child allowance of 200€/month for each dependent child;
- Free Nursery Service at INL campus (subject to availability);
- Support for Education fees of dependent children;
- Depending on the place of residence, INL covers 100% of travel expenses for all family members for relocation purposes.
INL offers an attractive financial package appropriate to an international research organisation composed by a gross monthly remuneration paid in 12 instalments. Apart from the salary, INL may offer, depending on the personal situation, additional allowances and benefits for families and non-residents.
Applicable legal and regulatory framework, taking into consideration the international status of the Organisation
The contract will be subject to the INL’s Staff Rules, as amended from time to time, as well as to all other relevant instructions issued by the Organisation. Disputes between the Organisation and the Employed Member of the Personnel shall be settled in accordance with the INL´s Staff Rules.
Notification of results
Each candidate notified via email of the result of their individual application. We highly value the interest shown from applicants wishing to become a part of the INL experience. It is important for us to maintain good communications with candidates. No matter the outcome of the application, we always send the applicant an answer.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle
INL promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
Applicants can receive support regarding applications to this positions via e-mail: email@example.com.