Directors/Principal Investigators for Disease Biology (Job Code: SZBL 1001), Medicinal Chemistry (Job Code: SZBL 1002), in vivo Pharmacology (Job Code: SZBL 1003), Peptide, Protein and/or Antibody engineering (Job Code: SZBL 1004) and program management (Job Code: SZBL 1005)
About Scripps Research/Shenzhen Bay Laboratory Chemical Biology Institute; Shenzhen, China
Scripps Research is joining forces with Shenzhen Bay Laboratory to establish a joint Chemical Biology Institute (see announcements at: https://www.scripps.edu/news-and-events/press-room/2019/20191127-szbl-collaboration.html and https://www.szbl.ac.cn/news_detail_en.aspx?detail=19746&parm=948). Within this institute, the Division of Translational Research will consist of preclinical drug discovery and early drug development expertise and capabilities for small molecules, peptides/proteins and antibodies. Our state of the art facilities will include high throughput screening (HTS) and diverse small molecule libraries (1 million), with capabilities for medicinal chemistry optimization, peptide/protein and antibody engineering, PK and in vivo efficacy studies. Researchers will work closely with scientists from Calibr at Scripps Research, as well as collaborators within the Shenzhen Bay Laboratory and other institutions, to translate biomedical basic discoveries into innovative new drugs that will impact the major diseases of unmet need.
We are seeking talented PI/Director level managers in Disease Biology, Medicinal Chemistry, in vivo Pharmacology, Peptide, Protein and Antibody engineering to lead a dynamic, interdisciplinary team of research associates and post-doctoral scientists as well as coordinate CRO efforts to develop new therapeutic approaches to unmet medical needs through early stage translational research. Partnerships with various for-profit and non-profit organizations will be a key component of the workflow, and work will be published in high-impact, peer-reviewed journals.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Responsible for developing and leading key research projects in alignment with the Institute’s mission and goals
• Provides successful project and team leadership of both in-house and/or CRO resources
• Uses in depth literature search skills to generate new project proposals and maintain a pipeline for successful pre-clinical candidates
• Works with senior management to identify and develop new relevant and viable research projects and directions
• Authors research reports, generates scientific presentations and manages research timelines
Independently designs, executes, interprets and reports results of work. Additionally, oversees consistency and accuracy of results and documentation. Exercise judgment to make decisions and solve problems independently. Escalates issues and risks that significantly affect timelines.
Strong communication skills that enable leadership of and coordination with colleagues, CRO personnel, and management teams to direct projects effectively.
SCOPE AND COMPLEXITY
Principal Investigator is independently responsible for leading overall strategic as well as day-to-day research activities. Works collaboratively with teams in coordination of group goals. Works on extremely complex problems and requires the ability to adapt quickly and evaluate intangible variables. Exercise judgement in developing methods, techniques and criteria for obtaining results.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS
Manages scientific staff related to applicable projects. May have oversight of CRO relationship working to ensure goals and timelines are met accordingly.
• Candidates must have Ph.D. in a pertinent scientific field with 7+ years of related scientific experience and 3+ years of supervisory experience
• Strong bench skills and a proven track record in area of specified science
• Demonstration of highly successful project execution across disease areas using in-house and/or CRO resources leading to preclinical candidates for further clinical development
• Demonstrated skills in managing, mentoring and supervising team members; commitment to diversity and inclusion
• Highly motivated, creative, and devoted to project goals
• Impeccable attention to detail, and excellent ability to perform hands on experiments, research, design, and organize project designs and maintain detailed documentation
• Able to contribute in a meaningful way to scientific discourse
• Prior involvement in drug discovery and early development in pharma settings are highly preferred
• Highly motivated, creative, and able to maintain excellent documentation of their work including writing grant applications and third-party partnership plans
• Able to collaborate proficiently and communicate effectively with colleagues, project management and senior leadership
Applicants should submit your curriculum vitae, cover letter and reference letters to email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
The above statements describe the level of work performed and expected in general terms. The statements are not intended to list all the responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of employees so classified, and the content herein is subject to change due to the business needs of the Institute, with or without notice.