Department of Clinical Medicine at Faculty of Health, Aarhus University and Department of Respiratory Diseases and Allergy, Aarhus University Hospital invites applications for a position as professor in the field of basal allergy and immunology. The position is a permanent full-time position.
As a professor at the Department of Clinical Medicine, you will be part of what is probably the largest health science research department in Denmark. Our clinical research covers all the medical specialities and takes place in close collaboration with the university hospital and the regional hospitals in the Central Denmark Region. We have approx. 30,000 square metres of modern research facilities for experimental surgery and medicine, animal facilities and also advanced scanners at our disposal. The department has overall responsibility for the Master’s degree programs in medicine and in molecular medicine. At the department we are approx. 425 academic employees and the same number of PhD students cooperating across disciplines. You can read more about the department here and about the faculty here.
As a professor, you will be working at the Department of Respiratory Diseases and Allergy, Aarhus University Hospital in the Central Denmark Region. Department of Respiratory Diseases and Allergy is covering the whole area of pulmonary medicine. We have a ward with 22 beds and a very large out patient setting with 30.000 visits each year. The Department has a long tradition for research in cancer, COPD, interstitial lung diseases, tuberculosis, allergy and clinical immunology.
Your job responsibilities
As a professor, you will have joint responsibility for the development of the department’s research and teaching environment, and you will contribute to the implementation of the faculty’s overall research strategy. You are expected to contribute – both independently and in collaboration with others – to the development of the department by leading research of high international quality and contributing to ensuring a high academic and didactic standard in teaching. Qua your excellent collaborative skills and a broad academic network, you contribute to the academic development at Aarhus University and to the university’s profile both nationally and internationally.
Your main tasks will consist of:
- Research of high international quality, including publication in top international journals and communicating your research in national and international academic networks.
- Teaching, supervision and examination of Bachelor’s and Master’s degree students.
- To contribute to the funding of your own research group with the help of external research funding.
- Supervision of PhD students and contributing to the development of the faculty’s PhD courses.
- Assessment and committee work at Aarhus University.
- Research-based collaboration with private and public-sector stakeholders as well as research-based consultancy.
- Dissemination of your research to the outside world.
- Leading the department’s basic science research laboratory as well as having a close collaboration with the lab technicians
We offer an attractive start package.
You will report to the Head of Department, Jørgen Frøkiær.
You have an excellent track record in research in respiratory and allergic diseases, and you have established yourself as a prominent researcher. You have a strong and innovative research profile in basic science and translational medicine as wells as experience in flow cytometry and in laboratory work. You possess solid research and teaching qualifications at a high international level and able to perform basal research in collaboration with the clinically oriented medical physicians in the department. You have broad international cooperative partnerships and great experience of research partnerships with private and public-sector stakeholders. You have also a documented ability to attract significant competitive research funding from national and international funding bodies.
As s person, you are a helpful and motivational leader who inspires other researchers and builds trusting relationships with students, colleagues and partners. As a lecturer you communicate the newest and relevant knowledge in a committed, clear and comprehensible manner. As a supervisor you are competent, inspiring, supportive and responsible.
You are ready to take co-responsibility for the development of the department’s research and education at the highest international level and for ensuring that we maintain a good work environment. You naturally involve yourself in interdisciplinary collaboration at departmental, faculty and university level as well as nationally and internationally.
We expect you to be fluent in oral and written English. International applicants are expected to learn Danish, and Aarhus University arranges Danish teaching.
In order to be assessed as qualified for a professor position, you must meet these academic criteria.
Questions about the position
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Head of Department, Aarhus University Jørgen Frøkiær tel.: +45 78 45 90 00 or Head of Department of Respiratory Diseases and Allergy Pernille Hauschildt tel.: + 45 23 11 20 76.
Your place of work will be the Department of Respiratory Diseases and Allergy, Palle Juul-Jensens Boulevard 99, 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark.
Previously submitted applications will be taken into consideration unless they are withdrawn.
Terms of employment
- In making the appointment, emphasis will be placed on the extent, quality and originality of the applicant’s body of international scientific publications, including contributions to further developing the subject area in question.
- Moreover, an assessment will be made of the applicant’s research management abilities.
- Further information on the appointment procedure can be found in the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
- The appointment is in accordance with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (Akademikerne).
- Remuneration is in accordance with the above, and the Salary agreement catalogue for staff at Health.
- Further information on qualification requirements and job description can be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Your application must include the following:
- Motivated application
- Curriculum Vitae
- A list of publications
- A teaching portfolio. We refer to Guideline on the use of teaching portfolios
- The ten publications stated as the most important in the template for applicant must be submitted
- References/recommendations can be uploaded separately in the e-recruitment system
- Template for applicant – professor must be completed and uploaded under ‘Extra documents’
We refer to the faculty’s Guidelines for applicants.
The assessment committee may decide to include non-submitted material in its statement. In such cases, you will be informed and obliged to submit material, unless your application is withdrawn.
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply, regardless of their personal background.
Aarhus University offers a broad variety of services for international researchers and accompanying families, including relocation service and career counselling to expat partners. Please find more information about entering and working in Denmark here.
The application must be submitted via Aarhus University’s recruitment system, which can be accessed under the job advertisement on Aarhus University’s website.
Aarhus University is an academically diverse and research-intensive university with a strong commitment to high-quality research and education and the development of society nationally and globally. The university offers an inspiring research and teaching environment to its 38,000 students (FTEs) and 8,000 employees, and has an annual revenues of EUR 885 million. Learn more at www.international.au.dk/
31 December 2019