About the team/job
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1700 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome. The EMBL IT Services operate and support the IT infrastructure and services at EMBL headquarters in Heidelberg and the laboratory’s sites in Barcelona and Rome.
As Project Officer for IT Strategy and Coordination, you will be mainly responsible for supporting the Head of IT with regards to the department’s IT strategy and project coordination, communication as well as budget and resource planning. This will include the following responsibilities:
- Providing project planning, coordination, monitoring and communication support to our multi-site IT team and our interaction with stakeholders across EMBL
- Defining actions and priorities for strategic intervention and engagement to foster the successful delivery and provision of key projects, services and support activities
- Maintaining excellent relations with other IT teams and relevant actors within and beyond EMBL to support and coordinate collaborations, knowledge exchange and training towards a successful implementation of the EMBL Data Science strategy and its embedding into EMBL’s international collaborations
- Coordinating IT budgeting activities, ensure preparation of related reports and documents to support strategic planning, resourcing and monitoring of key IT services and processes
- Providing substantial input to the preparation of strategy and position papers, reports and presentations; representing the IT Services department at relevant meetings
- Performing other related duties, as required
This post will require travel within Europe.
- Advanced university degree in economics, computer sciences or another relevant field
- Previous relevant working experience related to supporting senior IT management
- Excellent understanding of operational, managerial and strategic challenges involved in delivering IT infrastructure and services and supporting thousands of users in a highly data-driven organisation
- Excellent written and oral language skills in English and German
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail, professional attitude, and maintain confidentiality
- Strong analytical and numerical skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Profound MS Office skills
You might also have
- Previous relevant work experience in an international organisation, as part of a multi-national team
- SAP experience and project management skills
- Additional language skills
Why join us
We offer to you:
- Certified training and continued development of your professional and personal skills
- Competitive salary and a comprehensive pension scheme; medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial sponsorship for relocation and installation for you and your family
- Flexible and friendly, international working environment fostering creativity
- An inclusive, equal opportunity employer strongly committed to achieving gender balance
- To be part of one of the world’s highest ranked scientific research organizations and to commit to this joint effort to better understand the principles of life
What else you need to know
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
If you feel you have the right skills and experience, please apply online at www.embl.org/jobs!