About the team/job
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory – European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) is seeking a Project Manager for the EC funded CINECA project. The main purpose of the role is to provide the project management to ensure the successful delivery of our externally funded EC Horizon 2020 project ‘CINECA’.
The CINECA consortium consists of 20 partners and linked third parties spread over 12 countries and 3 continents with a total budget of €6M over four years. CINECA’s vision is a federated cloud enabled infrastructure making population scale genomic and biomolecular data accessible across international borders, accelerating research, and improving the health of individuals across continents. The CINECA consortium represents a unique combination of scientific excellence with experience of eleven diverse human cohorts and scientific projects such as the European Genome-phenome Archive, CanDIG, and H3Africa.
As Project Manager, you will have a central role in driving forward and coordinating project activities between the partners, PIs, EC, grants and financial management groups, and take part in project dissemination activities. This position is an exciting opportunity to become involved in and provide critical support for a project that has the potential to be truly transformative.
The main activities that you will be involved in are:
- Ensuring that CINECA deadlines, milestones, objectives and KPIs are successfully achieved by providing support, pro-active management and guidance to work-package leaders and partners;
- Coordinating overall project reporting, ensuring that all funders’ requirements for this are met;
- Assisting project planning and budgeting processes; e.g. key performance indicators;
- Assembling and analysing metrics and outcomes;
- Leading the scheduling and preparation of consortium meetings; minuting these meetings; following up on actions; circulating meeting reports;
- Assisting in effectively managing changes in the large consortia, including in terms of project partners, tasking and resources; changes to the consortium agreement;
- Effectively and proactively communicating operational outcomes, risks, and ongoing processes to the EMBL-EBI Investigators;
- Management of the project websites and internal consortium pages;
- Day-to-day management of CINECA risks and opportunities, including project performance indicators and the risk register;
- Assisting in the delivery of CINECA ethics requirements; maintaining and updating the CINECA data access; withdrawal processes listed and progress;
- Development and Implementation of a benefit-sharing plan for low and middle income countries/South Africa for CINECA;
- Development and Implementation of a Sustainability Plan for CINECA
You will work in the European Genome-phenome Archive (EGA) team, led by Thomas Keane. You will collaborate with the EBI grants and financial management offices.
- A postgraduate degree in the life sciences, ideally genetics or another subject area that is relevant to these projects;
- Experience in coordinating complex projects across a team or a number of partners;
- Demonstrable experience that is relevant to writing both technical reports and text for the lay reader;
- Experience in planning and minuting meetings;
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills;
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Good organisational skills, the ability to prioritise different tasks and to manage intermittent heavy workloads;
- A proven ability to effectively interact with multiple stakeholders to deliver results;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Experience of working and delivering results in a high-paced, multidisciplinary professional/academic team environment;
- The ability to handle confidential information and all situations with diplomacy and tact;
- A high level of independent working, initiative, and flexibility.
You might also have
- A good understanding of European research programmes, and demonstrated experience of managing EU-funded contracts and grants;
- Previous experience in a service or support role;
- Good working knowledge of the Google drive suite, Microsoft office packages, including Word and Excel;
- Ability and eagerness to learn new software and tools where necessary;
- Experience in using social media and developing website content
Why join us
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by over 27 member states and two associate member states. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else you need to know
To view a copy of the full job description please click here
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system. Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
This position is limited to the project duration specified.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.