About the team/job
We are seeking an experienced project leader for activities and resources supporting model organism genetics and genomics at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI).
Mice, rats, zebrafish, flies, worms and yeast are studied extensively by scientists around the world to gain fundamental insights into human biology. The Alliance of Genome Resources (AGR, www.alliancegenome.org) is a major new initiative to develop shared infrastructure, analysis pipelines and data curation workflows for 6 major Model Organism Databases (MODs) and the Gene Ontology. WormBase (www.wormbase.org), a founding member of the Alliance, is dedicated to providing integrated information on the genetics and genomics of the model organism Caenorhabditis elegans.
You will lead a team that acts as the genomics and hub for AGR and WormBase. The team’s responsibilities range from designing and deploying large-scale data integration and genome analysis pipelines, to curating the canonical reference genome and annotation for C. elegans. The team also collaborates closely with the Wellcome Sanger Institute to produce WormBase ParaSite (parasite.wormbase.org), which uses the Ensembl platform (www.ensembl.org) to provide access to hundreds of genomes for parasitic worms that damage human health and food supply.
You will be a be a member of the EMBL-EBI Eukaryotic Annotation Team. Under the supervision of the Team Leader, will operationally lead our contribution to the Alliance of Genome Resource, WormBase, and WormBase ParaSite. You will work closely with peers at international partner sites to ensure that the overall goals of these projects are met. Your specific responsibilities will include:
- Management of a team of 5-7 bioinformaticians, developers and curators
- Management of the development of genomics data analysis and integration pipelines for the Alliance of Genome Resources and WormBase
- Leadership of the curation effort for the reference genome and annotation for C. elegans and selected other nematodes
- Project management for the provision of parasitic worm genomics data via the Ensembl platform
- Engagement with relevant scientific communities
- Writing reports and scientific articles
- Representing the project(s) at meetings and conferences
You will ideally hold a PhD or equivalent in Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics or related field with demonstrated experience in model organism genomics. Applicants with a MSc and appropriate experience will also be considered. Specifically, you will have:
- Broad knowledge of genomics and its application to the understanding of model organisms
- Experience with genome annotation tools and workflows
- Practical experience with using databases for modelling complex biological data (knowledge of graph databases will be considered a plus)
- Proficiency in at least one programming language (e.g. Perl or Python)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
You might also have
The ideal candidate might also have experience with:
- Formal project management principles and techniques
- Working within international consortia
- Development of high-throughput computational pipelines
- Working with the Ensembl platform for genomic data integration and analysis
Why join us
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by over 20 member states and associate member states. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world. EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else. If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else you need to know
To view a copy of the full job description, please click here
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
This position is limited to the project duration specified.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.