Programme Managers x3
Swindon and London positions available
A variety of Open Ended/Fixed Term contracts
The Medical Research Council (MRC) is a partner organisation within UK Research and Innovation. The mission of the Medical Research Council (MRC) is to improve human health through world-class research. We develop and operate some of the most remarkable scientific facilities in the world and work collaboratively with industry, academia and government in exciting partnerships.
What we offer
UKRI recognises and values employees as individuals and therefore provide a flexible working scheme, a Career Average Revalued Earnings pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance plus 10.5 public holidays a nursery on site and several other benefits.
About the role
You will manage a portfolio of research (a ‘scientific patch’) within one of MRC’s broader science areas. Which will involve:
• Being the knowledge-holder of the scientific issues relating to the patch in question, spanning new research developments, research partnerships and policy-related issues
• Advising grant applicants and overseeing the peer review process for research funding
• Acting as the primary interface for stakeholders, both internally (across sections of the MRC office and UKRI partners) and externally (e.g. researchers in the academic and commercial sectors, funding agencies, policy makers)
• Assisting senior staff in the review of research fields and the development and implementation of scientific initiatives and policy
• Developing and manage funding schemes and innovative initiatives.
You will be required to frequently work in the other head office location (London/Swindon) and be willing to stay overnight and work long hours on an occasional basis. Additional, infrequent UK & European travel may also be necessary.
For insight into the Programme Manager role at the MRC, please see the blog on our website from one of our very own Programme Managers.
You will need:
• A PhD or equivalent
• Significant research or research related experience, providing a broad understanding of scientific issues
• Experience of working directly and achieving results with a wide range of stakeholders e.g. research funder, the pharmaceutical industry, NHS, scientific publishing or academia
How to apply
Applicants are required to provide a CV and include a cover letter providing evidence of how they meet the criteria described.
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services. To apply, and for further details on the role, please visit our job board at https://www.topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/VacancySearch/VacancySearchListing.aspx?keywords=Keywords…e.g.%20Researcher&Location=Location…e.g.%20London&Organisation=MRC. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.
The closing date for applications is the 14 June 2020