Programme Manager – Tree of Life
Salary: £56,245 – £76,697pa plus benefits package
Fixed-term for 3 years
An exciting new opportunity has arisen for an energetic, enthusiastic and skilled Programme Manager to support the set up and establishment of the Tree of Life Programme at the Wellcome Sanger Institute. The Tree of Life Programme is a leading part of a global, collaborative initiative which aims to sequence the genomes of all species of life on Earth in the next 10-20 years. The role will be based at the Wellcome Sanger Institute on the Wellcome Genome Campus.
You will be skilled at developing and implementing project plans as well as coordinating project teams to support and deliver the needs of the Programme. A key component of the Programme is the Darwin Tree of Life Project, which aims to sequence all approximately 60,000 species found in the British Isles, working with a wide range of collaborators. The role will include coordinating activities with a wide range of collaborators across the globe who will supply samples and carry out analyses. Within the Institute, you will oversee the progress of samples through the entire genomics process (sample acquisition, DNA extraction, sequencing, genome assembly, curation and data storage/presentation). The Programme has a major component of research and development in sequencing and analysis, and you will also support these activities. Key to the success of the Programme will be establishing and maintaining operational support and clear lines of communication and engagement with multiple stakeholders of all levels internally and externally.
Understanding the complex nature of the scientific, operational, logistic, political and ethical challenges and sensitivities will be a core essential part of the role in order to find innovative and creative solutions to complicated or multifaceted problems. Monitoring budgets, including core and major external funding, reporting and managing risk will also be an essential part of the role.
Our ideal candidate will be flexible, professional and resourceful with a high level of organisational skills with the ability to prioritise, manage workload, manage staff effectively and deliver agreed activities consistently on time. You will lead by example, taking ownership of problems and have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be able to influence and collaborate closely with people at all levels successfully.
We are interested in hearing from you if you have the following skills and experience:
• Consistent track record of leading delivery of a complex scientific project
• Consistent track record of leading and implementing significant project/programme process change
• 5+ years of project management experience, including successfully delivering a number of complex projects through others on time, in budget and to agreed quality standards
• Demonstrable experience of developing and maintaining key project documentation to a high standard, including project initiation, funding, communications plans and risk management
• Experience of facilitating effective decision making in a scientific context
• Science degree in a relevant subject [or equivalent experience]
Skills & Abilities
• Ability to quickly understand scientific, technical and process challenges and break down complex problems into actionable steps
• High level of organisational skills with the ability to plan and schedule multiple projects and programmes effectively
• Highly developed communication skills with experience of dealing with people at all levels successfully.
• Ability to work in a frequently changing environment with the capability to interpret management information to amend plans
• Ability to prioritise, manage work load, and deliver agreed activities consistently on time
• High level of influencing and negotiating skills
• Demonstrates excellent networking and relationship building and the ability to effectively handling both internal and external partners
• Strategic thinking, ability to see the ‘bigger picture’
• Demonstrates initiative, creativity, flexibility and a personal ethos of continuous improvement
• Ability to work independently
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. We undertake large-scale research that forms the foundations of knowledge in biology and medicine. We are open and collaborative; we share our data, results, tools and technologies across the world to advance science. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth. Find out more at www.sanger.ac.uk or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and on our Blog
Set across 130 acres, just outside of Cambridge, The Sanger Institute is located on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. Home to some of the world’s foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale, and creativity to solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Genome Wellcome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
• 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
• Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
• Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
• Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children
• and Summer holiday club
• Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
• Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
• Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
• Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service)
• Eyecare and Dental payment plans
• Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Genome Wellcome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
• Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
• A car-share initiative
• Free parking
• A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
• A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
To find out more about our Genome Wellcome Campus, see here.
We hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application. Closing date for applications: 20th August 2019
Skype interviews: 2nd September, Face to face interviews: 18th September 2019