School of Chemistry, College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Competitive salary for an outstanding candidate
Full Time / Permanent
Closing date: 10 July 2022
Our offer to you
People are at the heart of what we are and do. We want to attract outstanding, inspirational, and talented people, support them to succeed, and celebrate their success. Working at the University of Birmingham gives you access to the best financial and physical resources, a beautiful campus and an intellectually stimulating and diverse community. Our sector leading development programmes have made this a place where staff can thrive and recognition by Athena Swan, Stonewall and the Race Equality Charter demonstrates our commitment to supporting talented people from all backgrounds.
The School of Chemistry at the University of Birmingham is a vibrant and thriving academic community, with over 80 academic and research staff, 20 professional services staff and over 600 students. The School has an established and growing international reputation for research and teaching in the Chemical Sciences and related disciplines. With a strong focus on its three main research themes, energy, sustainability and health, and a number of interdisciplinary interest groups, the School has ambitious plans to grow research activity; indeed, major investment from the University for a state-of-the-art research building (opening in 2023/24) and a new Collaborative Teaching Laboratory (opened September 2018) that is revolutionising how we teach undergraduate practical chemistry, means we are entering an exciting period. We provide an inclusive and supportive environment where we strive to support every member of staff in realising their career potential.
We are seeking outstanding candidates who will provide significant strategic leadership which will positively enhance the profile of the School and institution. The post holder will be expected to have an excellent international reputation, based on an extensive track record of innovative research which has a major quantifiable influence in the subject area. The post holder will also make a significant contribution to teaching and learning, contribute at a high level to leadership and management activity and act as a role model in respect of citizenship.
• Develop, plan and lead research activities/programmes of outstanding quality in the disciplinary area;
• Publish high quality innovative, distinctive and significant outputs which are considered to be world-leading in terms of originality, significance and rigour;
• Regularly contribute to other research-related activities such as conference papers and keynote speaker invitations at conferences;
• Provide leadership on the generation of research income, supporting colleagues to maximise funding opportunities, promoting collaboration with external researchers and organisations;
• Lead the development of strategies, policies and procedures which have a positive and quantifiable impact on equality, diversity and inclusion;
• Maintain a sustained track record of income generation appropriate to the discipline to support own work;
• As appropriate for the discipline, lead a major research group, managing people and resources to deliver an ambitious research vision;
• May lead consultancy projects and/or advise external organisations, based on research and reputation in the subject area;
• Participate actively in the development of the research strategy in the Department/School/College as appropriate;
• Provide outstanding supervision to research students.
• Develop, plan and lead high quality education activities;
• Develop high quality, inclusive and academically challenging practice in research-intensive teaching, learning and assessment;
• Deliver high quality portfolio of innovative, engaging and inspirational teaching which is accessible to all;
• Contribute to curriculum design to ensure the offer is contemporary, inclusive, engaging, international and academically challenging;
• Lead innovative approaches to digital resources/environments and support colleagues to use them in the delivery of teaching, learning and assessment;
• Provide outstanding project/dissertation supervision;
• Develop and lead collaborative working arrangements with colleagues across the Department, School and wider University to deliver outstanding teaching.
Leadership, Management and Citizenship
• Lead and manage major activities in the School/College/University. This may be in relation to one or more of the following:
• external partnership activities/collaborations;
• leading a Department or undertaking School/College roles;
• developing institutional policies and practice;
• leading activities contributing to a positive and inclusive community spirit across the School/College/University;
• using position and influence in order to ensure that others engage positively with the University’s Strategy;
• leading, developing and motivating colleagues using mentoring and coaching skills;
• proactively supporting Equality, Diversity and Inclusion activities.
The post holder will have an outstanding and sustained profile of achievement evidenced by the following:
• PhD or equivalent qualification or an equivalent body of work;
• A substantial record of international quality outputs;
• An excellent and widely recognised reputation amongst peers internationally;
• Proven ability to plan and lead the delivery of research;
• A sustained record of attracting significant funding, as appropriate to the discipline;
• A track record in translating research into impact on other scholars and on the wider community through publication, engagement with policy and practice, consultancy and advisory work;
• A track record of attracting and successfully supervising high quality doctoral students;
• A proven ability to develop and lead the delivery of innovative research-led teaching, learning and assessment;
• A proven ability to lead curriculum design and implementation;
• Willingness to engage in teaching-related CPD;
• Evidence of innovative approaches to digital resources/environments;
• Evidence of high level leadership and management contributions;
• Evidence of high level successful collaborations (whether research, teaching or other);
• Evidence of proactively engaging in citizenship activities;
• Evidence of working with others for the greater good of the academic discipline and institution.
Please attach to your application the following:
1) CV (including full publication list, funding profile, evidence of outreach and engagement with industry)
2) Statement on teaching, (max 1 page) highlighting your teaching experience and philosophy, including design, delivery and assessment methods as well as any evidence of innovation / future plans in these areas.
2) Statement on research vision (max 2 pages) to include a discussion of your future research objectives and directions.
3) Highlight your top 3-5 publications with a brief statement as to their significance.
4) Contact details of 3 potential referees
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.