We are seeking a highly-motivated and talented software developer to develop software solutions to facilitate cancer drug discovery.
About the Team:
The Garnett lab are world-leaders in the use of genetic and drug screens in molecularly annotated cancer cell models to identify biomarkers of anti-cancer therapy response and to identify new drug targets. We are seeking a Principal Software Developer to create an innovative world-class computational drug discovery pipeline leveraging our novel datasets and suite of existing analytical tools.
Further details of the Garnett lab (https://www.sanger.ac.uk/science/groups/garnett-group) and informal inquires can be made directly to Mathew Garnett (email@example.com).
The Ideal Candidate:
The successful candidate should have exceptional software development skills and experience developing web applications to facilitate their use. The ideal candidate will have a background in cancer biology, cancer genetics or cancer therapeutics, with knowledge of drug discovery and experience working in industry. Applicants should be team players, have excellent organisational skills, and strong verbal and written communications skills, as well as a proven track record of productivity.
• Educated to MSc level in computational science, computational biology or related field
• Advanced programming skills, particularly Python and R.
• Significant experience working with relational databases and SQL
• Evidence of delivering complex software solutions
• Ability to communicate ideas and results effectively
• Effective team player with strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to work independently and organise own workload.
• Fluent in written and spoken English
• Knowledge of cancer biology, cancer genetics, cancer therapeutics or drug discovery.
• Experience developing and maintaining scientific data workflows / pipelines
• Web development: user interfaces and REST APIs
• Good knowledge of statistics
• Good working knowledge of cloud technologies and software containerisation
Closing Date: 15th December 2019
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. We undertake large-scale research that forms the foundations of knowledge in biology and medicine. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth. Find out more at www.sanger.ac.uk or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube and on our Blog.
Set across 130 acres, just outside of Cambridge, The Sanger Institute is located on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. Home to some of the world’s foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale, and creativity to solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Genome Wellcome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
• 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
• Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
• Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
• Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
• Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
• Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
• Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
• Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
• Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service)
• Eyecare and Dental payment plans
• Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Genome Wellcome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
• Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
• A car-share initiative
• Free parking
• A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
• A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
Find out more about our Genome Wellcome Campus.
We hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.