At Boehringer Ingelheim we develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company, we focus on long-term performance. We believe that, if we have talented and ambitious people who are passionate about innovation, there is no limit to what we can achieve; after all, we started with just 28 people. Now, we are powered by 50,000 employees globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive culture.
Contribute your passion. Push the boundaries. Reimagine how we work.
Take advantage of your experience, employ digital innovation to actively boost the discovery and development of new medicines to assure sustainable growth of a globally leading and family-owned pharmaceutical company.
As Human Disease Genetics Expert you are accountable for generating genetic disease insight using large volumes of human data from biobanks and study cohorts, using leading edge computational methods to drive faster, improved decision making, ultimately developing impactful therapies for our patients. You are passionate about developing data-driven approaches that aim to transform the drug development methodology.
Embedded in BI’s growing Global Computational Biology and Digital Sciences Unit you will have an impact on reinventing R&D, thereby actively contributing to the discovery of breakthrough therapies that ultimately will improve the quality of human life.
Tasks & responsibilities
- The aim of this job is leading the exploration of population level genomics analysis using data of hundreds of thousands of individuals and bridging the connection with human disease.
- You develop and refine approaches to acquire, ingest and harmonize genomic data assets and link them to deep phenotype data.
- With your rich experience in statistic genetics workflows and practices, you analyze not only individual level data via WGS, WES, GWAS, but also summarize statistics from published datasets.
- In addition, you are proficient in defining and implementing prototype workflows/pipelines that perform such data analyses in a self-contained environment that can smoothly be shipped for production(for example through Conda, Docker, R or python packaging).
- You are able to analyze high-dimensional datasets by applying advanced statistics and machine learning methods. That includes the identification of the most suitable analytical approach, the testing and the development of numerical methods and the assessment of their suitability in disease genomics.
- You work in close collaboration with colleagues and stakeholders with varying levels to bring forward novel targets, biomarkers and provide in silico validation for ongoing projects.
- PhD in Statistical Genetics, Bioinformatics, Genetic Epidemiology, Computational Biology, Statistics, Computer Science or related fields
- Established professional experience in the management/handling/analysis of large human cohort data from case-control studies or biobanks
- Extensive knowledge of best practices in Quality Control (QC), numerical cross validation and tool chains for large scale genetic analyses
- Experience in designing and implementing statistical models for production as well as in applying methods to large-scale genomic studies
- Experience in applying genetic methodology in identifying drug targets or supporting therapeutic translations
- Ability to engage biological/medical questions into analytical models and providing actionable results working within a Cross-functional team
- Extensive background in statistical computing with proven expertise in relevant programming languages (e.g. R, Python)
EFFECTS OF COVID-19
We will continue to hire talented people and we look forward to receiving your applications. As a result of COVID-19, we have introduced alternative working arrangements to ensure that our employees can stay safe and healthy, because the health of our employees is among our top priorities. At all company locations, we work remotely whenever possible. Additionally, we are now hosting virtual video interviews for applicants. During the limited in-person interviews we still have during this time, we pay special attention to distance and the hygiene rules recommended by the Robert Koch Institute. New employees who do not start on site in production or the laboratories are sent the necessary IT equipment, our Welcome Days take place online, and we plan to conduct their onboarding training virtually whenever possible.
WHY BOEHRINGER INGELHEIM?
This is where you can grow, collaborate, innovate and improve lives.
We offer challenging work in a respectful and friendly global working environment surrounded by a world of innovation driven mindsets and practices. In addition, learning and development for all employees is key, because your growth is our growth. We also offer a competitive salary, generous amount of vacation time, and numerous benefits towards your wellness & financial health and work-life balance. Plus, an onsite gym (Ingelheim), in-house doctor and best-in-class cafeterias and coffee bars to keep you energized and healthy. To learn more about what benefits could be waiting for you, please visit our Career area.
Want to learn more about us? Visit https://www.boehringer-ingelheim.com/
Boehringer Ingelheim is an equal opportunity global employer who takes pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture. We embrace diversity of perspectives and strive for an inclusive environment, which benefits our employees, patients and communities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
READY TO CONTACT US?
Please contact our Recruiting EMEA Team: Mr. Artur Reich Tel: Tel.: +49 (7351) 54-175904.
Not exactly the position you are looking for but have someone else in mind?
Share it via the button on the bottom of the page with friends or colleagues who might be interested.