Postdoctoral scientist (m/f/*) genome bioinformatics
Lübeck Interdisciplinary Platform for Genome Analytics (LIGA) at the University of Lübeck
The University Medical Center Schleswig-Holstein is one of the largest university hospitals in Europe with more than 80 clinics and institutes. It offers outstanding medical treatment and excellence in research and education with nearly 14,500 employees, 2,600 patient beds and more than 100,000 hospitalized patients,240,000 outpatient cases and in excess of 3,000 births a year. We provide top research at the interface of medicine, science and technology. The Lübeck Interdisciplinary Platform for Genome Analytics (LIGA) is part of the Medical Faculty (“Sektion Medizin“) at the University of Lübeck. The overarching aim of LIGA is to improve our understanding of thegenetic and epigenetic foundations of genetically complex human traits and diseases, in particular thoserelated to aging. To this end, we are using state-of-the-art high-throughput genome technologies in humanDNA and RNA samples recruited within the auspices of a number of different national and international projects.
One such project, “STaR-AD” (PIs: Drs. V. Dobricic and L. Bertram), was recently funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG), and will assess the role of short tandem repeats (STRs) in Alzheimer’s disease using specialized whole-genome sequencing workflows. For this exciting and groundbreaking project, we are seeking a dedicated genome bioinformaticist/genome data analyst to be in charge of all aspects of data processing and statistical analysis in STaR-AD. Specifically, this will entail implementing new pipelines for the calling, quality control, imputation and statistical analysis of STRs in Alzheimer’s disease and other complex disorders.
The LIGA team currently consists of an interdisciplinary and international team of PhD students and postdoctoral researchers specialized in bioinformatics, statistics and epidemiology. Our everyday language is English. For more information check out our website at www.liga.uni-luebeck.de.
- Develop and maintain bioinformatics workflows for the standardized processing of whole-genome sequencing data in a multi-core computer cluster environment with a focus on short tandem repeat genetics
- Manage the design and implementation of bioinformatic pipelines or the improved imputation of STR- genotypes based on genome-wide SNP genotyping data
- Perform statistical analysis of the resulting data with the phenotypes of interest (e.g. disease risk, age-at-onset)
- Interpret the results with respect to functional genetic/biological pathway data
- Prepare the resulting research findings for publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Degree in bioinformatics, biostatistics, or equivalent
- Experience in the processing and analysis of large-scale genomics data using compute clusters/high-performance computing
- Familiarity with working in Unix/Linux environments (shell)
- Strong programming skills (in particular: Python, R, Perl)
- Experience with using git and snakemake as well as with using STR-related software tools (e.g.
- ExpansionHunter, STRetch, exSTRa, or GangSTR) advantageous
- Strong communication skills in English both spoken and written and motivation to work in an interdisciplinary team
What we offer:
This is a fixed-term position for two years, with the possibility of extension. Weekly working time is 100% of a full-time position (currently 38.50 hours per week). Working part-time is possible. Salary will be, depending on qualifications, according to the German salary scale 13 TV-L. The UKSH has been certified as a family-friendly institution and is committed to further improving the compatibility of work and family life. The University Medical Center Schleswig-Holstein is an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities will be given preference in case of equal qualifications.
Does that sound interesting?
For more details on the position, please contact Prof. Lars Bertram, head of LIGA (email: email@example.com). Questions on administrative aspects can be addressed to Anna Wolbert viaemail: firstname.lastname@example.org. More information on the University Medical Center Schleswig-Holstein can be obtained online at www.uksh.de/karriere.
We are looking forward to your application. Please submit your application until 24 May 2020, indicating your earliest possible starting date as well as the reference number 20200201, via our online portal: www.uksh.de/Bewerbung.html?nr=20200201