The Institute for Hygiene and Microbiology of the University Würzburg combines clinical diagnostics, hygiene and state of the art research in infectious diseases with services in patient care. The Chair for Medical Microbiology and Mycology is among the internationally leading centers for the diagnosis of invasive fungal infections. Our research is focused on fungal epidemiology and biology and on the interaction of fungal and human immune cells. To strengthen our team, we invite talented and motivated candidates to apply for a:
Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d)
(Akademischer Rat auf Zeit (m/w/d))
The successful candidate will perform cutting-edge basic and applied research in the area of human fungal infections.
- Interaction of fungal cells and immune cells (host-pathogen interaction)
- Modulation of antifungal activities of immune cells
- Live cell imaging of host-pathogen interactions
- Immune evasion strategies of fungal pathogens
- Identification and characterization of genetic risk factors for fungal infections
Work will be performed in an experienced team of basic scientists and physician scientists. The successful candidate will complement existing expertise in the team with extensive experience in the field of immune biology. We expect the applicant to be able to independently guide doctoral students and develop projects in the field of antifungal immunology. For this, we provide state of the art research equipment. Our close association with the university hospital enables collaboration with clinicians and diagnostic units.
The successful candidate will work on qualifying for a higher doctoral degree (Habilitation).
- A doctoral degree in medicine, biology or a related field in life sciences
- Profound research experience in the field of immunology, expertise in immune biology
- Research experience in the field of molecular biology
- Willingness to perform cutting-edge research in a competitive field
- Ability to effectively work in a team
Attractive remuneration will be paid according to pay scale A13 of the Bavarian civil service salary. The position is immediately available and initially limited to three years but can be renewed for up to 6 years.
For further information please contact:
Prof. Dr. Oliver Kurzai (email@example.com).
Applications should be submitted in English or German and should include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, a complete list of all publications, copies of certificates, names of up to three academic references. Applications should be submitted until 24.05.2019 as a single pdf file by e-mail to: