Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts
The Helmholtz Centre Potsdam – GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences is the national research centre for Earth sciences in Germany. With approximately 1.280 employees (including visiting scientists), the GFZ is conducting interdisciplinary research on the “System Earth” and the influence of humans on the planet. As a member of the Helmholtz Association, it is part of Germany’s largest science organization. For Section 4.4 "Hydrology" we invite applications for a
Job Vacancy No. 3482
The GFZ coordinates the project G3P (Global Gravity-based Groundwater Product) that has been granted in response to the Earth Observation Call EO-4-2019 of the Horizon 2020 European Union Framework Programme for Research and Innovation. G3P is a collaborative effort between twelve European institutions. The key objectives of the G3P project are: 1) to process and make accessible the latest satellite gravity data as water storage products, in particular from the recently launched GRACE-FO mission, 2) to advance existing Copernicus service products on water storage variations, and 3) to set up a global product of groundwater storage variations as a new cross-cutting application of the existing product portfolio of three Copernicus core services. Contact: Prof. Dr. Andreas Güntner (email@example.com)
- merging observation- and model-based water storage data sets by, e.g., machine learning methods or offline data assimilation
- developing the global gravity-based groundwater product including uncertainty assessment
- product evaluation and validation with, e.g., in-situ data
- contribution to the implementation of the G3P service architecture
- presentation of results at scientific meetings and publication in peer-reviewed journals
- compiling operational project reports and deliverables
- Master’s degree and PhD in Earth, Environmental or Data Sciences, or in a related field
- advanced expertise in data fusion, assimilation and/or machine learning methods for Earth science applications
- expertise in the field of process hydrology, hydrogeology or hydrometeorology
- demonstrated expertise on GRACE data applications is an asset
- practical programming skills
- demonstrated capacity for international teamwork, and excellent communication skills
- creative and critical thinking and the ability to publish, demonstrated by a record of original and innovative publications
- proficiency in spoken and written English
Starting date: as soon as possible, by 01.01.2020 at the latest
Fixed term: 36 months (optional 1 additional months)
Salary: This position has been assessed as being salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group will be determined by the conditions of the collective wage agreement and the appropriate personal qualifications.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
Location: Potsdam You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.Please submit your application online by 31st October 2019 using the "Apply" button.Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.