Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d)
At the Institute for Plant Sciences
The University of Cologne is one of the largest and most research-intensive universities in Germany, offering a wide range of subjects. With its six faculties and its interfaculty centres, it offers a broad spectrum of scientific disciplines and internationally outstanding profile areas, supported by the administration with its services.
The candidate will join the group of Stanislav Kopriva at the Institute for Plant Sciences, University of Cologne. Research in Kopriva group aims to understand how plants integrate the uptake and utilization of key mineral nutrients, nitrogen and sulfur, with their needs,
demand, and changes in environment. We use a combination of biochemical, genetic and physiological approaches and exploit natural variation. In particular we study the interaction of plants and microorganisms in the rhizosphere and their role in plant mineral nutrition and mineral nutrition of C4 plants.
- Development and implementation of research project within the framework of the group´s research
- Training of graduate and undergraduate students
- Design and supervision of student research projects – BSc, MSc, PhD rotation
- Active participation in undergraduate teaching
- independent applications for grants
- PhD in life sciences and at least 3 years of postdoctoral experience, preferably international
- Good practical knowledge of standard methods in molecular biology, genetics, and biochemistry and experience in working with plants
- Solid publication record
- Ability to freely communicate in English
- Familiarity with nitrogen or sulfur metabolism, C4 photosynthesis, plant microbe interactions, bioinformatics, or mathematical modelling is desirable
- Experience in undergraduate teaching and/or grant writing is desirable
WE OFFER YOU
- an interdisciplinary and collaborative work environment in plant research
- association with the Excellence cluster CEPLAS
- possibility to establish and lead own research team
- opportunity and support for habilitation
- a diverse and fair working environment
- support in reconciling work and family life
- flexible working time models
- extensive advanced training opportunities
- occupational health management offers
- local transport ticket at a discount for UoC employees
The position is available from 01.11.2020 on a full time basis. It is initially limited to 3 years, with a possibility for prolongation by 3 more years. If the applicant meets the relevant wage requirements and personal qualifications, the salary is based on remuneration group 13 TV-L of the pay scale for the German public sector.
The University of Cologne promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations. Women are strongly encouraged to apply and given priority in
accordance with the Equal Opportunities Act of North Rhine-Westphalia (Landesgleichstellungsgesetz – LGG NRW). We explicitly welcome applications from individuals with severe disabilities or people of equivalent status. Severely disabled applicants of equal merit and qualifications will be given priority.
Please send your application with proof of the sought qualifications by email (in one pdf-file) with the reference number wiss2006-06 to Prof. Stanislav Kopriva (email@example.com).
The application deadline is 15th July 2020.