Context of intervention
As part of a Research and Technology Organization (RTO), the Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST), the work of the Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) Department tackles some of the major environmental challenges our society is facing today, particularly climate change mitigation, sustainable energy systems and the efficient use of renewable resources.
The applicant will join the Environmental Sustainability Assessment and Circularity (SUSTAIN) Unit of LIST, which is developing knowledge, transferable technologies (e.g. software) and practical methods for the integrative evaluation and management of the sustainability of human driven systems. Within the SUSTAIN Unit, the applicant will be incorporated in the Sustainable Energy Systems (SES) Group. The SES Group conducts research and develops innovative tools for the planning and operations of electric energy systems, with a specific focus on renewable energy integration in smart grids.
We are offering a full time 25 months postdoctoral researcher position in the topic of self-adaptive market structure for energy exchange and provision of grid services. The researcher will contribute to develop scenarios for local energy exchange and identify potential grid services based on tradable energy and flexibility products. The EU H2020 project FLEXI-GRID aims to build an integrated DSO-focused IoT architecture that brings together storage, demand response, variable generation, power to grid and power to heat technology. This requires development and deployment of innovative market models and enabling mechanisms that provide services to the DSO with possible flex options for securing grid operation.
The postdoctoral researcher will work in the EU project FLEXI-GRID and will be responsible to:
- Evaluate the possible impact of scenarios determined for the local energy exchange and analyse its impacts on the distribution grid
- Identify the services that the local customers can provide for the grid, e.g., congestion management, voltage control, and local balancing
- Link the identified grid services with the needs of the technical cyber-physical system, e.g., different levels of automation or intelligence in the future distribution networks
- Develop a self-organizing adaptive market structure in order to facilitate suitable services based on available flexibility, external market constraints and operational challenges in the grid
- Present and publish the main findings at peer-reviewed conferences and in top journals
- PhD in electrical power engineering, applied mathematics or operations research
- Ideally up to 4 years research experience upon PhD graduation
- Good skills in demand side management/demand response, market design, active distribution network managements, programming
- Fluent in English (written and oral)
- Knowledge in at least one of the official languages of Luxembourg (French, German or Luxembourgish) is an asset
Candidates interested in the above position can apply online on our website www.list.lu
The application must include:
- A CV
- A motivation letter
- The names of two or three referees
- If possible, a list of publications, invited talks, patents and granted projects