Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts
The Helmholtz Centre Potsdam – GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences is the national research centre for Earth sciences in Germany. With approximately 1.260 employees (including visiting scientists), the GFZ is conducting interdisciplinary research on the “System Earth” and the influence of humans on the planet. As a member of the Helmholtz Association, it is part of Germany’s largest science organization. For the research group Integration of in-situ and remote sensing data (TERENO) of the Remote Sensing and Geoinfomatics Section we offer a position for
Job Vacancy No. 3388
Within the HYPERNETS project funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program a new hyperspectral radiometer will be developed. The spectrometers will be integrated in automated networks of water and land bidirectional reflectance measurements for satellite validation. HYPERNETS is a collaborative project involving 7 european partners.As part of the subproject lead by GFZ you will be responsible for satellite data processing and validation of land applications of the HYPERNETS system. You will operate prototype sensors at the TERENO NE Lowland Observatory DEMMIN, an international Cal/Val site for remote sensing.
- development of a validation protocol and plan for land products
- development of multi-mission validation of land products
- multi-mission vicarious calibration of satellite Level 1 data
- operation of HYPERNETS prototype instruments at DEMMIN test field
- work as part of a multi-institutional team
- present results at scientific meetings and publish results in scientific journals
- representation of the GFZ in the HYPERNETS consortium
- MSc and PhD in remote sensing, meteorology, geophysics, or related fields
- in depth knowledge of atmospheric correction of remote sensing data
- excellent coding and quantitative analytical skills, preferably in Python, R, or Matlab
- creative and critical thinking and ability to publish, shown by a track record of original and innovative research
- strong motivation and excellent oral and written communication skills
- motivation to act as a multiplier and experience in recruiting and supervising students and in applying for follow up projects
- ability to work both independently and in an integrated team environment
- collaboration with researchers at both national and international institutes
- fluency in English and German (written and spoken)
Starting date: as soon as possible
Fixed term: 31st December 2020 with optional extension until 31st January 2022
Salary: This position has been assessed as being salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group will be determined by the conditions of the collective wage agreement and the appropriate personal qualifications.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
Location: Potsdam You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.Please submit your application online by 15th September 2019 using the "Apply" button.Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.