Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? Division
The Division of Infectious Diseases performs research and education in close collaboration with the Karolinska University Hospital. The research teams address a wide range of infectious diseases using clinical, epidemiological and experimental approaches.
The Asghar research group focuses on understanding the impact of infectious diseases on cellular ageing and its underlaying cellular mechanisms. The group is now seeking a postdoctoral researcher who will investigate the underlaying cellular factors and mechanisms that mediate the impact of infections on cellular ageing. The project will explore several hallmarks of ageing, such as telomere length, cellular senescence, mitochondrial dysfunction and epigenetic alterations (DNA methylation and transcriptional alterations). The project will involve integrative approaches by combing epidemiological, experimental and cellular studies both in human and animal models.
The group is based at the new research laboratories at BioClinicum on the Karolinska University Hospital site in Solna. The Asghar research group is situated together with Färnert and Broliden research groups which perform forefront research in malaria and HIV immunology. The experimental environment is located in close proximity to the clinicYour mission
The postdoctoral researcher will explore the cellular and molecular mechanisms of ageing and the impact of diseases on cellular ageing. The project will include qPCR and RT-qPCR analysis, oxidative stress and inflammatory cytokines analysis, microarray, single cell RNA-seq as well as DNA methylation analysis using blood and tissues samples. The postdoctoral researcher will design and perform mice model experiments, tissue collection and cellular aging analysis together with PhD and master students. The postdoctoral researcher will be involved in all parts of the projects, ranging from generating own research ideas and laboratory work, data analysis, supervision of students, statistical analysis, and writing scientific publications.Your profile
The group is seeking a highly motivated and ambitious postdoctoral researcher. The candidate is expected to be organized and able to work independently.
- The candidate must hold a PhD equivalent to a Swedish doctoral degree in the field of ageing biology, or molecular biology or immunology.
- The applicant should have knowledge and practical experience in different molecular and immunological techniques.
- Demonstrated record of publications in peer reviewed Journals.
- It is advantageous if the candidate has expertise in molecular methods in cell culture and cell sorting and molecular technique in aging biology.
- Experience in designing and managing experimental mice models and knockout mice models will be an additional advantage.
- The project is pursued in an interdisciplinary environment in collaboration with several research groups, and good collaborative skills are a requirement necessary.
- Fluency in English is mandatory.
Qualified to be employed as a postdoctor is one who has obtained a doctorate or has equivalent scientific competence. Applicants who have not completed a doctorate at the end of the application period may also apply, provided that all requirements for a completed degree are met before the (intended) date of employment. This must be substantiated by the applicant’s main supervisor, director or equivalent.What do we offer?
A creative and inspiring environment full of expertise and curiosity. Karolinska Institutet is one of the world’s leading medical universities. Our vision is to pursue the development of knowledge about life and to promote a better health for all. At Karolinska Institutet, we conduct successful medical research and hold the largest range of medical education in Sweden. Karolinska Institutet is a state university, which entitles to several benefits such as extended holiday and generous occupational pension. Employees also have access to our modern gym for free and receive reimbursements for medical care.Application
An employment application must contain the following documents in English or Swedish:
- A personal letter with a motivation on why you are applying for the position
- A complete resumé, including date of the thesis defence, title of the thesis, previous academic positions, academic title, current position, academic distinctions, and committee work
- A complete list of publications
- A summary of current work (no more than one page)
The application is to be submitted through the Varbi recruitment system.Want to make a difference? Join us and contribute to better health for all