Postdoctoral Researcher – Energy Systems Modeling and Optimization, Dubai
Position Code: 63101
Area: Energy Systems Analysis
Field: Energy Systems Modeling and Optimization
The DEWA R&D Centre is looking to fill the vacancy of a researcher to contribute in project for simulation and optimization of electricity and energy systems with very high contribution of renewable energy. Specifically, the researcher will develop:
- Statistical forecasting models for long-term energy demand based on current timeseries and technology deployment scenarios,
- Models and simulations of the energy system with hourly level resolution, and
- Optimization models (linear, mixed-integer, or non-linear) for energy portfolio strategy.
The project requires an understanding of renewable energy systems integration in the electricity system. The candidate should be proficient in modeling energy systems with at least one methodological approach (power flow, dynamic simulation, economic dispatch models, etc.) and should be comfortable to learn additional ones.
The candidate should be comfortable working as member of a dynamic, research-oriented group with several ongoing concurrent projects across multiple areas but also manage individual tasks independently. Thinking out of the box and comfort in bridging cross-disciplinary silos to conduct innovative research are strongly desirable qualities.
Contract Duration: 2 years with potential for extension
- Scopus-indexed publication record.
- Experience with optimization and programming packages (GAMS, Gurobi, Python, R, Matlab).
- Renewable and energy systems analysis and modeling (e.g. SAM, HOMER, PV-Syst, Markal, MatPower).
- General modeling and simulation skills (e.g. Power Systems Modeling, System Dynamics, Agent-based modeling etc).
- 5+ years of experience in energy systems modeling.
- PhD (MSc considered with long experience) in a related discipline e.g. Electrical Engineering, Energy Systems, Systems Engineering, Operations Research etc.
- Energy systems modeling experience
- Statistical analysis and optimization package knowledge.
Please send the following: i) cover letter (PDF), ii) CV including full list of publications/patents (PDF), iii) at least three names of references with contact information, and other supporting documents (optional) to DEWA R&D Centre recruitment R&D.Recruitment@dewa.gov.ae. Please include the Area and Position Code in the subject line of the email.
About the employer
The package offered is competitive and in line with regional and global standards. DEWA is one of the largest enterprises in the UAE, offers a dynamic work environment, internationally competitive salary packages, and living in the vibrant city of Dubai. The DEWA R&D Centre is housed in a state-of-the-art lab facility located at the Mohammed Bin Rashid Solar Park, one of the largest of its kind in the world.