VIB is an entrepreneurial and vibrant non-profit research institute in Flanders-Belgium with a clear focus on ground breaking research in life sciences. The VIB-KULeuven Center for Cancer Biology (CCB), is one of the research departments of VIB located at the University Hospital Campus in Leuven, Belgium. CCB hosts 11 research groups and represents about 200 international research-ers, administrative and technical collaborators. The focus of the CCB is to unravel the molecular basis of can-cer, and whenever suitable, exploit these insights to develop novel therapeutic or diagnostic strategies.
About the Lab
The Laboratory for Cell Death Research & Therapy, headed by Patrizia Agostinis, seeks a highly motivated and skilled Postdoctoral Researcher to join the team. Our team is studying autophagy in cancer and stromal cells as a main modifier of the tumor microenvironment and anti-tumor immunity. We recently defined a critical role for tumor vasculature-associated autophagy in cancer dissemination and growth. We are now interested in unravelling how autophagy impacts the tumor-stroma dialogue with particular focus on tumor immunosurvelliance and immunotherapy responses. Our goal is to pursue an innovative and interdisciplinary research theme, covering research from integrated omics to translational cancer immunotherapy, in order to harness autophagy regulated mechanisms for therapeutic benefits and for the improvement of immuno-therapy.
As a postdoc you will perform basic & preclinical research focused on the role of stromal cell-associated autophagy in immunosurveillance and anti-tumor immunity using transgenic mouse models. You will super-vise and support PhD students and contribute to several research projects of the lab, have a collaborative spirit and liaise with collaborators, clinicians, computational biologists, but also technology transfer experts and industrial collaborators. You need to be able to organise and troubleshoot your work independently, document it thoroughly and communicate results and experiences with the team in a transparent and pro-fessional manner.
Profile and skills
We are looking for a highly motivated, well organized and dynamic candidate with a high level of independ-ence and creative thinking.
- You hold a PhD in cancer immunology or related fields
- You have a publication track record in these fields with at least one first author publication
- You are eager to learn new techniques and you show a keen interest and curiosity driven approach to
- scientific questions
- You have demonstrable practical skills in molecular/cellular biology, isolation and phenotyping on
- immune cells, T cells analysis in vivo/ex vivo, high-end imaging, analysis of tumor
- microenvironment. Knowledge and skills related to autophagy pathways is a plus
- VIB Center for Cancer Biology
- You have experience in working with deadlines and being involved simultaneously in multiple
- You are a team player with excellent oral and written English communication skills
- You are able to guide PhD students and coordinate the projects between our teams
- A 3 to 4 years position based on an annual contract with the possibility of renewal, and depending on a positive evaluation; the candidate will be expected to apply for personal postdoctoral fellowships
- The job is available immediately, but the starting date is negotiable
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure
- A stimulating, research work environment where quality, professionalism and team spirit are
- The opportunity to interact with several world-class investigators at our VIB-KU Leuven Center for Cancer Biology (CCB), in Belgium (through our established network and research consortia) and abroad.
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure on VIB jobsite - see http://www.vib.be/en/jobs/Page... - and include:
- A detailed CV, including a list of your scientific publications
- An elaborate cover letter describing your motivation
- Contact information of 2 referees
- Applications sent by email will not be considered.
For more information, please contact Patrizia Agostinis.
Application deadline: July 30th, 2019.