A highly motivated post-doctoral fellow is sought to carry out research project to better understand function of novel genes in microglia and their roles in the progression of neurodegeneration. The successful candidate will leverage existing GSK knowledge and expertise for iPSC and gene editing platforms to generate engineered iPSC-microglia cells and overexpress or knock down novel candidate and disease variants genes to characterize their functions. Focus will be on the transcriptomics signatures and functionalities of these gene-edited cells. Perform pathway analysis to identify most relevant genes that show significant impact on disease-associated microglia and neurodegeneration. Develop in vitro complex and more physiologically relevant microglia-neuronal co-culture systems to validate their role in neurodegenerative disease.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Ph.D. degree and/or an M.D./Ph.D. in Neuroscience with significant knowledge of neurodegeneration/ neuroinflammation
- Ability to understand, interpret, and communicate complex scientific data;
- Comfortable conversing with opinion leaders regarding highly technical information;
- Ability to handle multiple projects concurrently
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Strong background in microglia biology and neuron/microglia assays
- Working experience with iPSC derived cells
- Hands on experience with different gene editing techniques
- Hands on experience in cell-based and standard molecular biology assays
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.