Our presence in the UK goes back a long way. For over 80 years, we’ve been researching, developing and supplying new medicines and vaccines that prevent and treat diseases that occur at every stage of life. Today we’re one of the top five biopharmaceutical companies in the UK and employ over 2,000 people across five sites in Hertfordshire, Northumberland, Buckinghamshire, Edinburgh and London. We are officially certified by the Top Employer Institute and been awarded the exclusive Top Employer United Kingdom Certification for the second year running.
We are establishing a new state-of-the-art life early science & innovation sciences research facility in London. With a mission of turning breakthrough science into meaningful and impactful medicines, the research focus is cellular ageing and mechanisms of homeostasis and resilience, the basis of some of the most challenging diseases facing our ageing population.
Our opportunity to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of people like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
We are currently recruiting Postdoctoral Research Fellow – Computational biology in Neuroscience and Ageing
Be a part of the legacy: Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program
Our Research Laboratories’ Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program aims to be a best-in-industry program for industrial postdoctoral researchers, designed to provide you with an academic focus in a commercial environment. With the resources, reach, and expertise of a large pharmaceutical company, postdoctoral researchers will be positioned to excel in an institution committed to breakthrough innovation in research and discovery.
We are seeking an independent and creative researcher for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow within the Genetics and Pharmacogenomics group at the UK discovery site in London to join for a 3 year position. The recruited researcher will develop and apply machine learning, data science and computational biology approaches for multi omics data analysis and integration. The successful candidate will be science driven, team oriented, with the ability to effectively communicate and thrive in an inclusionary, integrated, and multidisciplinary work environment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate closely with computational and experimental teams across company sites (e.g. London, Boston, Prague) to develop and apply data driven approaches for identification of appropriate in vitro models in the areas of neurodegeneration and ageing
- Develop and apply analytical pipelines to integrate internal and external omics datasets in cell lines, iPSC-derived models, in vivo models and primary human data
- Perform analyses of diverse omics data sets including but not limited to bulk and single cell/nucleus RNA sequencing, epigenomics and spatial transcriptomics
- Communicate results, conclusions and application to collaborators across the company
- Spearhead peer-reviewed publications and presentations at internal and external scientific meetings
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Candidates must currently hold a PhD OR receive a PhD by fall.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Candidate should have a doctoral degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, data science, machine learning or equivalent
- Candidate should have solid background and demonstrated capacity in the design, analysis and interpretation of genome-scale datasets
- Strong competency with statistical and bioinformatics programming packages, as well as omics data visualization
- Science driven, self-motivated researcher with a strong sense of urgency to deliver on the agreed goals
- Strong publication record to demonstrate productivity and independent thinking
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience with integration of diverse omics datasets (e.g. transcriptomics, proteomics, epigenomics) as well as machine learning experience
- Familiarity with molecular and cell biology techniques
- Experience with analysis of single cell data
- Experience/training in neurobiology
- Ability to navigate complex IT systems and competent working in a Linux/Unix environment
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Our company does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms or recruitment agencies for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any of our employees via email, the Internet or in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our Company. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by our Company as a result of the referral or through other means.