The Medicinal Chemistry group, located in the prestigious Rega Institute for Medical Research, is part of the Department of Pharmaceutical and Pharmacological Sciences at the KU Leuven. The Medicinal Chemistry group is a highly multidisciplinary team of 6 independent group leaders headed by Prof. Eveline Lescrinier, specializing in synthetic chemistry, mass spectrometry, NMR of biomolecules, molecular modelling and molecular biology. The group has a long track record of collaboration towards the development of novel antivirals, anticancer and antibiotic agents as well as on the development of novel genetic materials (XNAs) and applications thereof.
- To design and execute experimental work independently and in consultation with Prof. Vitor Pinheiro.
- To identify, develop and apply a broad range of techniques to pursue the research objectives.
- To accurately record and judiciously analyse experimental data.
- To maintain shared curated database resources, in collaboration with other lab members. To assist in the management and day-to-day running of the laboratory.
- To prepare, in collaboration with and under the direction of Prof. Vitor Pinheiro, articles for submission and subsequent publication in academic journals. This will include writing up of experimental methods and results, the preparation of figures and tables, as well as technical summaries, discussion and conclusions from the experimental work.
- To contribute to the general aims of the programme and to lend help and advice to fellow laboratory members. To actively participate in lab-wide discussions on developments in the field.
- Participate in the supervision and training of undergraduate and postgraduate students, as well as on training of less experienced lab members.
- To carry out other duties, within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, as requested by the Principal Investigator (e.g. public engagement).
- To follow KUL policies, at all times, including Equal Opportunities policies, and adhere to Fire, Health and Safety Regulations.
Qualifications and experience
- PhD in a relevant subject area or about to complete a PhD in a relevant subject area
- Experience in method or assay development
- Experience in molecular biology
- Proficiency in the English language, both spoken and written
- Experience in bacterial autotransporters, directed evolution or display methodologies
- Multidisciplinary training in Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics
- Experience in bioinformatics
Knowledge and skills
- Good understanding of probabilities and statistics
- Excellent problem solving abilities
- Resourcefulness – the ability to tackle experimental bottlenecks creatively and to make best use of the opportunities available
- Good communication (oral and written) skills
- Good understanding of the physical principles behind molecular biology techniques
- Personable and self-reliant – the ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to present complex information effectively to a range of audiences
- Self-driven and committed to producing high quality research
- Thorough – good attention to detail
- Committed to continuous personal and scientific development
- Commitment to equal opportunity and ability to work harmoniously with staff and students of all cultures and backgrounds
- Team-oriented – capable of undertaking andparticipating in an interactive and collaborative research environment
This is a full-time 3year post-doctoral position in the Pinheiro group (www.pinheirolab.com) within the Medicinal Chemistry team of the Pharmaceutical Department. The Pinheiro group is located at the Rega Institute for Medical Research in Leuven, where the work is expected to be carried out. The project is multidisciplinary and combines molecular biology, biochemistry and chemistry approaches to further develop available display-based selection strategies with a goal of developing more tools for XNA molecular biology.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Vitor Bernardes Pinheiro, tel.: +32 16 33 02 57, mail: email@example.com.
You can apply for this job no later than September 15, 2019 via the online application tool.
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.