PDRA — Advanced Optical Microscopy Development
Grade 7 (£32,817 – £40,322)
Fixed Term: 24 months with the possibility of extension
Ideal Start date: January 2020
Location: University of Dundee, Scotland, UK, School of Science and Engineering — Physics
Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Research Assistant to develop the next generation of light-sheet microscopes for biomedical imaging. The successful candidate will be involved in all steps of the process, from design to implementation and application. The central aim of this research is to overcome the imaging depth limit in biological microscopy. Inhomogeneities within biological samples affect the path of the light entering and exiting the specimen of interest, thus preventing a sharp, high resolution, image. The project will involve the implementation of new microscope systems that fuse computational imaging and adaptive optics in microscopy, as well as the further development of existing systems with a range of modalities such as light-sheet microscopy, structured illumination, phase contrast and confocal microscopy.
Your priorities will include:
• The design and optimization of optical imaging systems. This includes optics, mechanics, interfacing, as well as software for control and data processing.
• The simulation of novel optical systems using custom software.
• The construction, alignment, and critical evaluation of proof-of-principle optical instruments in the laboratory.
• Close liaison with collaborators, including the installation and testing of instruments at other laboratories.
• Analysis of experimental data, testing of hypotheses, and producing publication-ready figures.
Who we’re looking for:
• Completed a PhD, or be close to completion, in physics, engineering, or related discipline.
• Experience with the design and implementation of optical imaging systems.
• Capable of modifying and optimising existing designs and imaging instruments.
• A track record of scientific publication commensurate with experience.
• Evidence of initiative in the formulation, planning, and implementation of research activities.
Role title: Postdoctoral Research Assistant
Reporting Line Manager: Dr Tom Vettenburg
Grade/Salary: Grade 7 (£32,817 to £40,322)
Appointment as a Postdoctoral Research Assistant on the Grade 7 salary scale is dependent upon you having been awarded a PhD. An appointment may be considered if you are shortly expected to be awarded a PhD. The initial appointment will be made as a Research Assistant on the Training Grade 7 salary scale (£29,176 – £31,866).
Duration of Employment: Fixed Term for 24 months with the possibility of extension
Location: The post holder will be based within the Physics, School of Science & Engineering in the Harris Building on the main City Campus.
Please click here for further information about this position, or contact Tom Vettenburg firstname.lastname@example.org. To find out more about the School of Science and Engineering, please visit https://www.dundee.ac.uk/science-engineering/
To apply and for further details please visit our website.
Closing date: 24 October 2019
The University of Dundee is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
The University of Dundee is a Scottish Registered Charity, No. SC015096