About BioMed X
The BioMed X Innovation Center is an exciting collaboration model at the interface between academia and industry. At our center, distinguished early career scientists recruited from all over the world are working jointly on novel pre-clinical research projects in the fields of biomedicine, molecular biology, cell biology, and diagnostics. These interdisciplinary project teams are conducting groundbreaking biomedical research in an open innovation lab facility on the campus of the University of Heidelberg, under the guidance of experienced mentors from academia and industry while expanding their scientific network.
A postdoctoral position in immunology is available in our newly established research group “Intestinal Epithelial Barrier in Autoimmune Diseases” at the BioMed X Innovation Center in Heidelberg. The main objective of the group, headed by Dr. Martin Resnik-Docampo, is to understand the molecular mechanisms of the interactions between intestinal epithelial barrier and immune cells, in particular the interactions between dendritic cells and intestinal enterocytes. Studies will involve use of conventional and high-throughput metagenomics, generation of intestinal organoids from murine and human subjects, isolation of immune cells and germ-free murine models.
Our final goal is to identify novel biomarkers and develop new therapeutic targets for intestinal barrier loss and autoimmune diseases that will improve patient outcomes.
We are looking for highly enthusiastic researchers to broaden our think-tank with intellectual power and technical excellence. The ideal candidate would have a Ph.D degree in cell/molecular biology, immunology or biochemistry and a strong background in immunology.
- Proven experience in culturing immune cells isolated from tissues and blood, with preference on dendritic cells
- Proven Experience in immune profiling (Flow cytometry)
- Experience with high-throughput screening techniques (i.e. Single cell RNAseq)
- Experience with microscopy techniques (e.g. confocal microscopy, live cell imaging)
- Skills in basic biochemistry techniques (e.g. ELISA, immunoblotting)
- Willingness and ability to lead research assistants and/or Master students on their projects
- Independent thinking
- Experienced to work in interdisciplinary teams
- Excellent communication skills in English
Additional preferred skills
- Theoretical and/or technical background in intestinal cell biology and/or autoimmune diseases
- Experience with high-resolution imaging platforms and mass cytometry (CyTOF) or mass spectrometry.
- Familiarity with basic molecular biology techniques and genetic manipulation of cells (e.g. RNA isolation, cloning, lentivirus preparation, transduction, overexpression and knockdown, CRISPR/Cas9)
Candidates are requested to submit
- 1-page cover letter explaining the reasons of interest to join our team
- Curriculum Vitae outlining scientific interests, research achievements, a record of publications, future personal goals and extra-scientific passions
- 2 reference letters
- 1-2 pages outline of the proposed contribution to the team (short description of ideas or experimental approaches)
What we offer
The post is offered for a limited term until 31 October 2023.
BioMed X is a multidisciplinary and international research institution with a very collegial and flexible working environment. As part of the remuneration package we offer a competitive salary, access to training and lecture courses in house as well as in neighboring research institutions on the Life Science Campus in Heidelberg. Team recognition events, such as our annual two-day retreat, joint luncheons and after work events, a Summer and a Christmas party are just some of the other perks our fellows enjoy.
The position is sponsored by MERCK.
The position is available as of 1 November 2019. Please submit your application to the attention of Dr. Martin Resnik-Docampo before 13 September 2019 via our online application system: https://apply.bio.mx/job/2019-J08