Ferroptosis is an iron-catalysed form of cell death that occurs as the consequence of excessive lipid peroxidation of cellular membranes (=biological rust). We and other research groups have shown that induction of ferroptosis is an effective strategy to kill therapy resistant tumours.
In this project, we are investigating the therapeutic potential of ferroptosis in high-risk neuroblastoma (a therapy-resistant childhood cancer) using nanomedicine. In parallel, we aim to uncover and characterize novel modulators of ferroptosis.
- You guide a PhD student.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project of the assignment.
- You contribute in an interactive way to research in the pathophysiology unit @UAntwerpen and the Ferroptosis and Inflammation Research team @VIB-UGent Center for Inflammation Research.
- Junior postdoctoral researcher (< 3 year after PhD)
- The candidate is expected to have strong hands-on experience in molecular and cell biology techniques (the project involves in vivo work).
- You hold a PhD by thesis or a degree or a diploma or certificate in the ﬁeld of (bio)medical sciences, biotechnology and biochemistry, or bioengineering recognized as equivalent in accordance with European Union directives or a bilateral agreement.
- The selected candidate should apply for an FWO fellowship at UAntwerp within first year (national funding for 3 years). Therefore, an outstanding academic track record is required.
- Flexibility to work in Vanden Berghe lab at two universities VIB-UGent and UAntwerp.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
Key personal characteristics
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, independent, creative and cooperative.
- The candidate should have excellent communication skills and a strong passion for life sciences.
- A postdoctoral scholarship for a period of ~1 year (15 months) at VIB-UGent IRC allowing the candidate to apply for an FWO fellowship at UAntwerp:
- The start date of scholarship will be October 1st, 2020.
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment with young and motivated people.
- Cutting-edge frontline research in the field of cell death and disease.
How to apply?
- Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel (Prof. Tom Vanden Berghe & Dr. Behrouz Hassannia).
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place in May – June.