Postdoctoral or staff position available immediately in the Merritt Lab for genetic studies of the human oral micrbiome.
Our laboratory studies oral bacterial genetics as a model system to better understand the regulatory mechanisms important for triggering dysbiosis within the human microbiome as well as novel approaches to selectively inhibit particular organisms within mixed species communities of the microbiota. A second research emphasis in the lab uses mixed species polymicrobial infections to understand the mechanisms of polymicrobial synergy in dysbiotic diseases of the human mucosae. Current projects include: 1) characterize pleiotropic, post-transcriptional gene regulatory mechanisms, especially those targeting mRNA stability or translation, and 2) determine the mechanistic basis for polymicrobial synergy and immunopathology in mixed species infection models.
Candidates should be highly self-motivated and possess a strong background in microbial genetics, molecular biology, biochemistry, immunology, or a related field.
Typical duties of this position include:
genetic mutation construction, gene expression analysis, protein expression/purification, EMSA, Co-IP, northern blotting, western blotting, FACS analysis, and fluorescence microscopy.
· Doctoral degree in a related field of science
· Evidence of extensive experience with current genetic, molecular biology, and/or biochemistry techniques
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Microbial ecology and/or bacteriology experience
- Experience working with RNA
- Protein purification
- Strong background in gene regulation and/or post-transcriptional regulation
- Experience handling mice
- Ability to contribute to the writing of scientific papers and/or grants
Search the job listings for 2019-2090 and 2019-2091
For additional details or further inquiry, please contact:
Justin Merritt, Ph.D.
Oregon Health and Science University
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd. MRB424
Portland, OR 97239
P (503) 428-2664