Van Andel Institute (VAI), a leading independent biomedical research facility, is dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 200 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual interested in applying cutting edge structural biology and protein biochemistry techniques to study signaling mechanisms. VAI has state-of-the-art crystallization and Cryo-Electron Microscopy facilities. This position will provide excellent training and career advancement opportunities
Projects in the lab are focused on three areas:
- Signal Reception: GPCRs (including WNT signaling Frizzled) and their intracellular effectors (NIH funded)
- Signal Transduction: (AMPK) regulation (NIH funded)
- Gene Regulation: Plant MYC-binding corepressors and epigenetic regulators (NSF funded)
- PhD or equivalent degree
- Substantial experience and a strong publication record in protein biochemistry and/or structural biology.
- Applicants with previous postdoctoral research experience may be considered for the Research Scientist position.
Description of a Successful Candidate:
- You are seeking a positive and highly collaborative environment.
- Experience with cryo-EM and/or X-ray crystallography, different protein-protein interaction assays, and biophysical methods.
Application Process: Apply Now! http://bit.ly/3115sHT
Qualified applicants may contact Dr. Karsten Melcher directly via email (Karsten.Melcher@vai.org).
Alternatively, interested applicants may upload the following to the online application:
- Cover letter outlining your research experience and interests,
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three (3) references including their name, title, email and phone number.
VAI provides a highly generous compensation package.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Salary will be determined based on Doctorate/MD receipt date and past successes in engaging in productive scientific research.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of “America’s Top Places to Live.”
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you’d expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids’ diverse economy continues to grow, offering exceptional career opportunities.