Institute of Coastal Research
Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts
Postdoctoral Investigator (m/f/d)
In the area of Marine Biogeochemistry
Code no. 2019/KO 8
The place of employment is Geesthacht, Germany.
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG), Centre for Materials and Coastal Research, is located near Hamburg. You can find more information at www.hzg.de. The Institute of Coastal Research investigates the physical and biogeochemical dynamics of the coastal ocean and the impact of anthropogenic influences on the natural state.
One scientific focus of the Institute of Coastal Research is the investigation of biogeochemical cycles in the coastal ocean. The Institute uses and develops the coastal observing system COSYNA, one of the densest in-situ measurement systems in the world. The remote sensing department develops algorithms to investigate ocean colour products for coastal regions. Within this framework, the study of carbon cycle dynamics in the coastal regions of the North Sea and beyond is a key research topic. This research is conducted using direct observations, proxies and numerical models to constrain carbon budgets terms and their variability.
We invite applications for a three-year postdoctoral investigator position (m/f/d) in the research group New Technologies at the Institute of Coastal Research with preferred starting date on August 1, 2019.
The tasks of the successful candidate will include:
- development of a conceptual box model to analyse carbon budgets and determine means, trends and variability
- analysis of relevant data sources (satellite, in situ, regional and global model hindcasts) to constrain carbon budget components
- investigation of biogeochemical processes focussing on the carbon system, phytoplankton productivity and the role of nutrients
- validation of results with independent data sets
- analysis of budgeting results with regard to global applicability and relevance
- planning, participation, and evaluation of research cruises
- scientific publication and presentations
- working as an integral part of a motivated multidisciplinary team within the institute and with external academic partners
- knowledge of processing and interpretation of observational data
- profound programming skills in at least one scientific program language (e.g. FORTRAN, C, Matlab, Python) and experience in data processing and analysis
- ability and willingness to participate in seagoing research
- strong academic publication record
- good communication skills in English
- high degree of creativity and flexibility
- knowledge of coastal and shelf sea biogeochemical processes or biological-physical interaction
- prior experience with numerical, especially biogeochemical, models
- international research experience
- good communication skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team with scientists, engineers, and technicians
- desire to acquire solid communication skills in German
For further questions please contact Dr Holger Brix (Holger.Brix@hzg.de).
- multinational work environment with over 950 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Geesthacht is located 35 km southeast of Hamburg in Northern Germany. Its location combines proximity to Germany?s second largest city and its cultural offerings with easy access to numerous outdoor activities in a beautiful setting. We are a family-friendly employer and operate our own kindergarten on campus.
Please send your application indicating job offer code no. 2019/KO 8 including your CV, a certificate of your doctoral degree, a list of publications, description of research experience and goals, and a list of up to three references to email@example.com.
Proposed closing date for applications is June 10th, 2019.