Salary and benefit are based on NIH guideline and commensurate with the experience
The STAR Center is a world-class, multi-disciplinary research and educational center focusing on critical care and organ support, resuscitation, surgical outcomes, patient safety and injury prevention. We are currently open for Research Associate and post-doctor fellow positions in our Translational Research Program to investigates the role of extracellular (ex) vesicles (EVs) and ex-microRNA-mediated innate immune signaling in 1) acute lung injury in sepsis, 2) brain inflammation and cognitive impairment in sepsis, 3) coagulopathy in sepsis and non-hemorrhagic polytrauma, and 4) cardiac ischemia injury. These highly translational projects are funded by NIGMS, NINDS, NHLBI, NSF, US Air Force, and involve both humans and rodent animals.
The interested candidates can review the recent publications: Wang et al. iScience 2021 (PMID: 34877498); Xu et al. J Immunol 2018 (PMID: 30355788); Chen et al. J Am Heart Assoc 2014 (PMID: 24390148); Williams et al. J Thromb Haemost 2019( PMID: 31211901); Zou et al. Brain Behav Immun 2021 (PMID: 34808293);
What is required:
- The candidates with PhD and MD/PhD degree in molecular/cell biology, immunology or related field are encouraged to apply.
- The following experimental expertise are required
- qRT-PCR, genotyping, Western blot;
- flow cytometry, cell isolation, cell culture;
- Good written and oral communication skills and independent ability to design and execute experiments;
- Ability to skillfully multi-task, good organization, problem-solving skills, and ability to develop novel techniques
- Candidates with additional expertise in EV characterization, animal handling, studies related to lung, heart, coagulopathy are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates with a strong track record of post-doctoral training in the above areas are encouraged to apply for the faculty position. Independent funding is not required but would be considered favorably.
What you will gain:
The Translational Research Program of the STAR Center will provide additional training on certain critical techniques, critical thinking and analytical ability to solve scientific questions, and grantsmanship at the senior stage. In addition, postdoc fellows will be offered ample opportunities to present research findings at local, national and international conferences, write manuscripts, and contribute to grant application to advance scientific and career growth.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send the following materials to Lin Zou, MD, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Cover letter with a brief description of your research interest, career goal, and position of interest
- Three letters of recommendation
UMB requires all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for a disability, for any part of the recruitment process, please contact us at HRJobs@umaryland.edu and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.