Postdoctoral Fellow (Laser Technologies Group) – 88979
Organization: ED-Energy Storage & Distributed Resources
Berkeley Lab’s Energy Storage & Distributed Resources (ESDR, https://eta.lbl.gov/about-us/organization/esdr) Division has an opening for a Postdoctoral Fellow to join the Laser Technologies Group!
In this role, you will participate in the development of next-generation real-time spectroscopy tools based on the interaction of high-intensity ultrafast (femtosecond) and nanosecond lasers with materials. Your research will focus on fundamental mechanisms of pulsed laser material interaction as they relate to elemental, molecular and isotopic analysis. The work performed will be in support of ongoing and future advanced laser technologies for chemical analysis and imaging.
What You Will Do:
• Conduct advanced research on elemental and isotopic analysis with high power ultrafast lasers.
• Plan and execute laboratory experiments on fundamental aspects of femtosecond laser induced molecular alignment processes.
• Participate in ongoing projects.
• Design, build, and test laboratory experimental setups for performing advanced detection of molecules and isotopes.
• Perform theoretical modelling in support of experimental efforts.
• Prepare and conduct technical presentations for internal and external audiences.
• Report research results in peer-reviewed journals and conferences.
• Work within a dynamic team to coordinate resources.
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in experimental Chemistry, Physics or other related field.
• Experience with ultrafast laser operation, optical parametric amplification, high harmonic generation, pump-probe techniques and non-linear optics experiments.
• Experience with various laser spectroscopies such as absorption, Raman scattering, laser induced fluorescence and laser induced breakdown spectroscopy.
• Familiarity with spectroscopic experimental techniques and spectral data interpretation.
• Expertise in molecular excitation, vibration and rotation spectroscopy.
• Experience in statistical analysis of data and chemometrics.
• Ability to collect, analyze, and document research results.
• Proven ability to prepare research publications (both oral and written) based on experimental results.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
What We Desire:
• Programming experience and instrument control with LabVIEW.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled, however for full consideration, please apply by close of business on December 11, 2019.
• This is a full time, M-F, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), 1 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=173712 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab (https://www.lbl.gov/) has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab – Click Here (https://hr.lbl.gov/).
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html) under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) to view the poster and supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.”
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.